SWA Application dilemma

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

reepicheep

12,500 TT, 9000 Jet, 5500 737 - and 990 hours PIC Turbine! (this was 15 years ago on a Bandit). Lying or P-51 time not an option. My current employer, US Airways, precludes me from trying to get another flying job to build the time. I am considering trying to rent a King Air here in the LA area just to get to the magic 1000 hours mark. I wonder if this would really make a difference once I get to the interview stage.

Ideas or recommendatons, anyone?

I am determined to get a job at SWA!

Reepicheep,

Not being an expert, my feeling is that if you need ten hours of pic turbine, GO GET IT! From everything I gather SWA is pretty generous with what they allow in the PIC turbine catagory. I would imagine that the only stumbling block is making sure that you are really the "PIC" for legality purposes. I've heard stories of them checking into guys riding around in the right seat of part 135 outfit and logging the time. Get those details in order and I think you would be golden. Actually, they may be really impressed with the fact that you went that far to get the time.

I sent my resume to SWA with exactly 936 PIC Turboprop, and 64 PIC Turbojet.. They seemed to be really appreciative that I sent my paperwork in as soon as I met the minimums. I also found out that if you read on the SWA website, they will actually allow you to log part 121 captain IOE as PIC. My point is they don't really care, as long as it is legit..

Good luck!

S.B.

I find it humorous-well almost- that someone with your time does not meet the requirements.( I am in the same boat as I have approx. 800 pic turbine but am currently a fo on DC10 -which to me was an upgrade from the Saab 340 but for application purposes, is more like a penalty.
I do not know anyone personally, but a friend of mine that is a fo at SWA says he knows someone who had all pic on a cessna caravan( which obviously makes him more qualified than someone with 4500 hours on a 737.)
My main point is you may want to double check but I would think that or something similar would be much cheaper than King Air time.

Don't forget turbine singles.

A Cessna Caravan or Piper Meridian would work and would probably be a cheaper checkout.

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA ... go over to Perris Valley Airport and Volunteer to fly the jump plane one weekend!!!! I'm sure they have a caravan or king air over there!

http://www.skydiveperris.com/facilities.asp

What a great story to illustrate how bad you want to work for SWA!

dhampton

I know of several people who have a real loose interpretation of the PIC requirement, particullarly when it comes to what counts as PIC time for military pilots. Since LUV is one of the few that's hiring and you may not get many other chances, I'd make sure I had the right amount of PIC time before applying.

I appreciate the responses...I've had a couple of Southwest pilots tell me I might be wasting my time since my last "real" captain time was 15 years ago - they felt I would not be competitive in the application process. I know for a fact Southwest are very strict on their requirements - you could have 999 hours and they will simply return your app. My feeling is it's worth maybe dropping a couple grand to get the time. I'm working on it.

Thanks to all!

That 1000 turbine pic is ridiculous. I've flown a 727 for 7 years, over 4500 hours in the thing but only 800 PIC. And I'm not qualified to apply to Southwest, Jetblue, FedEx. It's sad they don't even let a person interview to see if they make a good employee. They would rather have that magic 1000 hours because they think that makes you a great applicant.

Food for thought from someone who has a clue (i.e., ME):

SWA rarely hires folks currently sitting in the FO sit (unless due to furlough/downsizing). They want to hire someone who has a good 5-year lookback/recency and is currently sitting in the left seat right now (or the only seat for you single-seat/single pilot guys).

My standing advice for SWA hopefuls: PIC turbine time of any kind is much more valuable than jet FO time. We hire future CAPTAINS, not career first officers!

I spoke with Perris a few weeks ago (tring to get a furloughed friend a job) and they are pretty well staffed. They fly 3 Twin Otters and a Shorts SkyVan. There are many furloughed pilots out there trying to do anything to feed their families, and the skydiving industry ( as far as the turbine DZ's ) is saturated with airline pilot resumes right now. I would still check with your local DZ's, though. Most will require some commitment, though- don't count on getting your time the first weekend. I flew Twin Otters at Skydive Elsinore, and they put me through Flight Safety in Toronto before I could fly their equipment. I understand this is unusual, though. One thing- flying skydivers has its own challenges. It may be one of the more difficult flying jobs. In a high traffic area such as Southern California, you need to be simultaneously listening to 2-3 different frequencies, watching out for VFR traffic, as well as flying your profile. The jump run ( in a multi-turbine jump ship) requires you to figure out actual winds aloft, determine what course and length will allow the jumpers to make it back to the DZ, determine how long the multiple groups will take to exit your aircraft, and hold a level platform while your CG shifts back and forth. You also have to make sure your jumpers miss any clouds in the area during their freefall. I fly for a regional airline, and flying jumpers was usually more labor intensive than my current job. With your flight experience, I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble doing the job, I just think most people underestimate the complexity of the job.
I commend you on your integrity, and wish you luck in your job pursuit!

Latest resources

Back