SWA and Weddings?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAPoolie

I am expecting a class date this summer and will be getting married the summer after. With so little senority what's the scoop about getting your wedding weekend off? Is it difficult? Is there any help from the company or do you just bid and hope for the best?

Rats! When I saw this title, I thought it was a thread about marrying your sister...

You know, SWA and weddings in the same sentence. ;) TC

Congrats

SWAPoolie,

Its not called the "luv" airline for nothing:) !

While no one on this board could predict the future I would have great confidence that your ability to get the time off for your wedding & honeymoon should be a doable deal at SWA. If you can't bid it off in the past the company in family situations that require one to be off, (funeral, wedding...some might say there isn't much difference:rolleyes: ) they will pull your trip without pay (make sure you marry rich!). Who knows what will happen but I would tell your fiance to count on you being there....congrats on winning both lotteries....your new bride & coming to SWA!!!

Thanks Chase....

That makes me feel better about making preparations. I thought I would be able to given SWAs reputation. It's one of the many reasons I want to work there.

It's definitely not like that where I work now.

SWAPoolie said:
I am expecting a class date this summer and will be getting married the summer after. With so little senority what's the scoop about getting your wedding weekend off? Is it difficult? Is there any help from the company or do you just bid and hope for the best?

Dude, there will be no problem at all. As a junior guy in my first month I could rebuild half my schedule to get Fri/Sat/Sun off. Plus if you talk to your Chief Pilot after you tried other options to get the time off and couldn't, he or she would gladly make arrangements... this goes for new babies, marriages etc. Not a worry in the least...

Last edited:
the problem with OAK is the new hires. every new hire is given a hard line thier first full month on the line. lately OAK has been getting 30-60 new hires a month, all with hard lines. that makes more "senior" FOs get reserve. one guy has been reserve for 8-10 months because of it in OAK, but any change in hiring (downward) or trend to big expansion elsewhere (MDW) could instantly cure that in OAK. anywhere else it isn't bad, for example 2-4 months a MDW for reserve, or even less, and once you hold a hard line the flexibility of trading systems at SWA allows you to completely reshape the line to something much better.

Work your class buddies

[After you have tried the TTGA, call some of your class buds to swap schedules, should be easy to do. Last resort, CP.

Wedding at AWA

SWAPoolie said:

Congrats on the job and the wedding. That's great that it sounds like SWA will give you the time off. I'm sure they will. I was married my first month on line at AWA. The chief pilots office is the one to talk to. I had originally cancelled my honeymoon, because I figured I would just get the weekend off. They gave me two weeks off and said go get married and have a honeymoon. I was blown away. There's a little bit of Luv here too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back