• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and the 737-800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SW will again stray from its business model.

More like adapting. Think our -800's will have three lavs and four FA's. Two pilot jumpseats up front and two extra FA jumpseats in the back for additional company JSers.

My understanding is that there is no etops quick turn, correct?

Anybody else here that we are purchasing the -800's with short field capabilities? Any one care to guess what that means?

More like adapting. Think our -800's will have three lavs and four FA's. Two pilot jumpseats up front and two extra FA jumpseats in the back for additional company JSers.

The second cockpit jumpseat is unusable for a 6 hour flight unless the guy riding it wants to end up crippled.

Anybody else here that we are purchasing the -800's with short field capabilities? Any one care to guess what that means?

Well, you'll need the SLP package unless you want to limit yourself to 11,000 ft runways in Hawaii. That would mean only serving HNL and HKO. For OGG and LIH you need F25 performance.

Sun Country does a ETOPS quick turn in Gander for its MSP to london service in a 737 800.

MTV

There are three main points on the SFP system.
1. Increased thrust to 27K
2. Delaying full slat deployment until flaps 30 is selected. This enables a flaps 25 takeoff with the slats at mid and gives better performance. It also makes the bird a lot harder to slow down. The gear is your friend.
3. Increasing the flight spoiler deflection angle when in the ground mode. This helps to slightly increase V1.

Leaving with an MEL is normally never done on an etops flight, at least at CAL. Takes an hour or two to get an aircraft ready for an etops flight, mx wise.

Maybe that was the old CAL. However under this "New" United we recently took one across pond with APU Inop, autothrottles inop, Inflight Entertainment Inop, mid Lav Inop, Oven Inop.

At United we're making some changes...And we think you'r going to like them....And we don't care if you don't......

There are three main points on the SFP system.
1. Increased thrust to 27K
2. Delaying full slat deployment until flaps 30 is selected. This enables a flaps 25 takeoff with the slats at mid and gives better performance. It also makes the bird a lot harder to slow down. The gear is your friend.
3. Increasing the flight spoiler deflection angle when in the ground mode. This helps to slightly increase V1.

I don't believe ATA had this "short field" option, and accept for the "mid slat" position at flaps 25, we had everything else. Used it all the time out of MDW, when it was warm and we were heavy, and OGG and LIH. Also did bleeds off T/Os too.

Edit: And this may be why. http://www.b737.org.uk/flightcontrols.htm#Short-field_Performance_Enhancement_Program

Developed in '05/06.

Still, according to this article, I don't think WN needs it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back