• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA and the 737-800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have to admit the HNL tourist demographic fits SWA perfectly.

Well, and IAH and DFW, and JFK is still left- but I'm not complaining

I predict that most of the assertions are correct. The -800 will do west coast to HNL. It will carry a small amount of freight. We will bump people and bags in the winter and eventually SWA will want to expand it's service to Hawaii. I predict that we won't be stealing very many pax from other airlines- we have our own "planet" of people to draw from, and sometimes I'm not sure it's Earth! It will dawn on SWA management that we would be better served with a larger A/C. You will hear things like " Wow, our HI service has exceeded all expectations", and the people on the line will be saying "no kidding, the New SWA carries 130 million people per year and management is surprised we were able to fill 29 jets to a very desirable destination. 787's can't be far away. SWA management is probably just waiting on the conformation that the HI service is successful before they announce the 787. Call it mid to late 2014 timeframe for an announcement and 2017-18 for service to start.

my uneducated surfing of Flightaware shows no 737's nonstop to HNL from US except on-the-west-coast departures. (LAX, etc).

Most all other departures into HNL are 757/767/A330/etc type stuff.

Wondering outloud, being that SFO-HNL (OAK for SWA) and LAX-HNL are top routes for all the carriers, I wonder how hard it will be to obtain routes to those places via the various governmental bodies.

We are just talking "flying" so they don't have to be pilot bases (do they?).

May we see LGB (10K runway) to HNL ? to capture the San Diego and LA markets ? We know how SWA prefers to stay away from congested airports.

Since Hawaii is a domestic market there are no routes to "obtain" any otherwise approved (121, ETOPS, etc.) carrier can connect any two dots they want to without restriction.

No they don't have to be pilot bases.

Yes, except not to caputre the San Diego market as there are already seveal non-stops a day to Hawaii from San Diego.

Six hours on a 737 with only two lavs and no food would suck!! For the same price as another airline....hmmm which would I pick. SW will again stray from its business model.

Six hours on a 737 with only two lavs and no food would suck!! For the same price as another airline....hmmm which would I pick. SW will again stray from its business model.

We (Alaska) have 4 lavs on our 737-800s and the ride to Hawaii is rather nice. Clean planes, plenty of leg room and OK food. Wish we could have a FA exchange program with Singapore Airlines or China Air though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back