SWA/Airtran new deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a nutshell -

Some won. Some lost. Very few are jumping for joy. Most are willing to move forward together.

Gup

It's a new method designed to avoid the contentious legal woes associated with arbitrated seniority list integration.

Methodology includes two (2) icosidodecahedron, one canyon blue, one teal with white ridges. Each subject (pilot) gets three throws. The average (median), factored for seat, AND total time in the flare (or 'Green Light'-time for Herc veterans), determines your position on the Master Seniority List. I crapped out, so by Jan 2015, I'll be sitting reserve in Waikiki. Bummer.

Did I mention the throws must commence no sooner than three hours into a 1-2-3 session? Yeah, I forgot that part. I forget most parts after three hours into a 1-2-3 session.

Since I think you are asking seriously, I will attempt to summarize in an efficient and hopefully accurate response. Yes, some kinda ratio. Starting after the last Morris pilot or there abouts. Different ratios were used based on different DOH's due to the number of pilots hired during some years was not the same. 717 has a 3 year fence, after that it's seniority rules. Airtran gave up all 737 captain slots. We retain first right to 717 captain slots. This will cause extra training events, that will be subsidized by the Airtran pilots staying on our current pay until 1 Jan 2015 ( 717 only). Airtran pilots can bid 737 FO and go under SWA pay, insurance, and union starting around 04/2011. Thats where it may get weird. No one really knows for sure how that's going to shake out. SWA FO pay is very close to even our senior captain using straight time. So depending on where our senior captains live relative to the SWA domiciles, not all AT captains will elect to keep their
seats. The will be two new bases announced as well. One 737 base that the SWA pilots will get first crack at. And a new 717 base. As of this writing those bases are still undecided. The location of the second 717 base will have a major impact on the transition bid process for many AT pilots.

Some won. Some lost. Very few are jumping for joy. Most are willing to move forward together.

That's how you know it was an acceptable deal...no one is happy.

That's how you know it was an acceptable deal...no one is happy.
Yeah right!

The SWAPA pilots were voting yes because they were threatened with an arbitrated SLI if they did not vote yes.

The AAI pilots were voting yes because they were threatened with losing their jobs if they did not vote yes.

Which threat strips away the most negotiating leverage? The latter I think.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back