SWA advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NoPFactor

I would like to throw a monkey wrench into the SWA 737 type rating debate. I have what I think are competitive qualifications for SWA, 9000 T.T. 3500 Turbojet PIC and 7 Turbojet type ratings. Although I lack a 4 year degree.

I am willing to spend the money for the type from my meager savings if the odds are in my favor to secure an interview without a degree.

Any advice or opinion's would be greatly appreciated. By the way I'm in my mid 40's, therefore, time is not on my side. Thanks!

I know of several people without a college degree who fly for SWA. I wouldn't let that discourage you.

Good luck

If you have determined that Southwest is where you want to be then I say go for it!!!
Get the type, show Southwest your enthusiasm at the interview, use your age to your advantage (as in I finally realize where I want to be) and the degree will be a moot point.

Go for it.
Good luck and maybe I'll see you in DAL someday.

crjdude

The oldest guy in my class was 49. I've flown with guys with no degree. The hours and type rating more than make up for it. I would do somemore homework before spending the money on a type rating, I've heard rumors of changes coming in the hiring process. I'm sure we'll all know what they are in a few months.

NoPtFactor,

I can't tell you whether or not to spend your money on a 737 type rating, but I can tell you I believe it's the person who is hired and not the college degree or the type rating the person has.

If it weren't for folks around me who guided me and made sacrifices for me, I would never have a degree or a pilot's license much less a 737 type.

I have faith that SWA understands that degrees don't make you a better person or a better pilot...degrees are just another discriminator and that's it. My degree and type make me no more qualifed than you to fly for SWA. And after watching Collen tonight on MSNBC, it's clearly evident to me, SWA is still a people company that happens to work in the airline industry.

If you're a people person, you can afford the type, and you know SWA is where you want to be, the decistion to get the type is easier to make. On the other hand, for the grumpy pilot who is only applying to SWA because "lots of other folks are doing it", paying for a 737 makes no sense in my mind.

Best wishes in whatever you decide. And if you decide to get that type check out Higher Power Aviation at www.jetcrew.com You will be pleased with the people, the course and the experience.

Yahtz

P.S. And whether I am ever hired at SWA or not, I do not regret spending the time or money at Higher Power. I had more fun in that two week training course than any course I've ever taken.

Don't think twice about being in your 40's or not having a degree. It's obvious you are an accomplished aviator. The degree is NOT a requirement!

My class had a guy in it that was hired at 54 years young.

If and when you are hired by SWA, you'll still be able to upgrade and fly as CA for 10+ years.

Get on yer horse and come to work for SWA.

HC

1100 pilots in the next 3 years, be one.

I am flying

the line at SWA.... no degree - was'nt even discussed at the interview either!?

Bought the type prior to the interview, but after I applied.

The best I can tell from talking with folks who have been SWA interviewers in the past is that they hire people - not qualifications.

You have to be the type of PERSON that the company hires, not the type rated or college graduate that applied for the job.

I also invested $750 for an interview prep with a SWA pilot..... I really wanted this job and the$8750 investment I made may have showed a desire/commitment/drive to be hired by SWA, who knows??????

Just dam* glad to be here, it really IS a great place to work!!!:cool:

PS - I too am in my "40s"... the old guy in my class was 52!

Last edited:
My experience:

Interviewer: You have a degree?

Me: Yes

Interviewer: Good enough...

They didn't seem to care one way or the other.
Unlike another interview I went to, they wanted to drill you on classes and grades and what kind of school you attended. Whatever...

Like it has been said many times before SWA is shooting for a good person with a positive attitude. Obviously, you don't need a degree to fly an airplane.

Wow, what a great list of reply's. I know everybody had to take a little time out of their day to help a fellow aviator. If this is even a small indication of the quality of pilots SWA employs, Im headed off to get the type and do everything necessary to join the team. Thank-You everyone.

noPfactor

Latest resources

Back