• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA 2nd interview wait time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No degree, 100% of PIC was turboprop and mostly smaller ones. I knew a couple of folks but nobody really important, was never an angel in my youth and still got the job.........bigger equipment and competition my a$$.

Desire and desperation are distinctly different things and I am confident the interview team can tell the difference. You can't beat the system, be yourself and don't be an a$$. They want to hire people that will help protect what has been built here and culture can not be part of a training evolution. Their focus isn't on the quals, but the dude sitting in the chair in front of them. Here's a thought..............instead of telling them how great SWA is and what SWA can do for you, try telling them what you can do for SWA and what you bring to the company and the pilot group.

Just a thought or two. I may be completely full of ********************e.......hard to tell.

oh boy...all good insight. Buuuuuut back to the topic at hand fellas.

2nd interview calls...I've heard of a few getting called at 6ish months after their yr was up.

I originally mentioned that I heard someone may have been called back after only a 10month wait. Has anyone heard similar...

I originally mentioned that I heard someone may have been called back after only a 10month wait. Has anyone heard similar...
No. I know a couple guys still waiting for their second chance, and a few that had it and they were all well past the year wait.

Good luck, and enjoy the wait. Also, I think the advice given earlier about not getting another shot unless you have changed something in your career is off-base. I know personally one dude who had a second chance and was doing nothing different than the first time around. Also they made no mention of this during the open house I attended back in June.

I'm at 2 1/2 years since my interview but, to be honest, I wasn't really updating every month after I hit the one year mark. Still kind of irritated at being turned down I think and just didn't have the motivation to do anything but fly my trip and go home, plus had a little one on the way so I was busy.

Updated a lot more regularly about this time last year, then I got the call from AirTran so I stopped updating SWA - for almost half a year. Started updating again this past month, we'll see if it helps.

I don't believe SWA cares anything about you switching companies as long as it's not a lateral move. Why would they hold your personal career and financial goals against you? For instance, I left an RJ CA job to come be a 717 F/O. It's a short-term pay cut, but a long-term investment in a much higher pay scale and a more stable (not dependent on NWA) environment.

I sincerely doubt they'll think that's opportunism or some type of problem. SWA hires at least 1 or 2 guys a month from AirTran, which verifies that it wouldn't cause a problem.

Additionally, while I don't believe switching companies would necessarily *help* you, changing your position from turboprop to jet or from PIC to Check Airman is ALWAYS a good thing. Moving up within your company always looks good on a resume.

Lastly, I wouldn't call LL every single month. That may be a bit overkill. Send a Christmas card, say Hi in the summer months with a postcard on vacation, along with updating every month. Anything else probably gets annoying, she has better things to do than field 10,000 phone calls a month from applicants in the pool. ;)

Of course, since I haven't been hired, all that may be worth exactly SQUAT, but it follows with every single piece of job advice I've ever received and I at least made it *this* far. :)

Good luck to everyone, and Happy New Year!

I was pretty sure the 10 month thing was an error...probably 10 mo. after the anniv. date.

...I figure I'll make a call at the 1yr mark. Make sure I'm back in the line up...all looks good...just to throw my name out there ya know. Also, this will coincide with a good year blimp I rented and a sky-writing squadron flashing messages in my favor.:D

When I was at Higher Power in September for my type, the SWA PD came in to talk to our class the first week. Someone brought up the question as to what they should do to prepare themselves for a second shot, if the first doesn't work out. Ryan H. took the question and his answer was, quote,"One of the worst thing you can do is leave your current company to go fly something else, even if the new company is flying 737s. We would MUCH rather see you keep flying your regional jet or turboprop and building PIC time than sitting right seat at some other airline." Unquote.

Straight from the PD. Take it for what it's worth.

Good Luck :)

I agree with the above post. It's all about determination. Moving to the right seat at another company can be percieved as a "lateral" move. If SWA is where you want to work then stay the course.

Latest resources

Back