Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rob Beeks

SWA Captain
The following memo was posted on the SWA ops web site today.

TO: Southwest Personnel

SUBJECT: 2002 Pilot Hiring

DATE: 21 Jan 2002

Many of you have called your Chief Pilots and HDQ inquiring about our current Pilot Recruitment efforts and plans for 2002. Needless to say, we are receiving an overwhelming amount of highly qualified applicants. We are currently forecasting to hire 200 Pilots in 2002. Please note the following changes for our 2002 recruitment efforts:

LICENSE / RATINGS:
U.S. FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Non Restricted U.S. Type Rating on a B-737 preferred for interview. Non type-rated candidates have six months from date of selection to complete their type ratings. Although preferred, a candidate may apply without a B-737 Type Rating.

Must be twenty-three years of age at the time of hire.

FLIGHT EXPERIENCE:
2500 hours total or 1500 hours turbine total. Additionally, a minimum of 1000 hours in turbine aircraft as Pilot in Command. Recency of experience is considered. Simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO, and other time is excluded.

MEDICAL:
Candidates must possess a current FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate at time of application.

EDUCATION:
Graduation from an accredited four -year college is preferred, but not required.

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION:
At least three letters from any individuals who can attest to the Pilot's flying skills. These letters must be included with the application. Failure to comply will result in a returned application. You, the Employee, are an invaluable source of information about a candidate. Please send your recommendation letters via ax to 214-792-1169. This number is dedicated for Pilot Recruitment and your letters will go directly to our Pilot Coordinators.

SOUTHWEST SELECTION PROCESS:
When reviewing the Supplemental Pilot Information forms, interviews will be granted on a competitive basis. All interviews are being conducted at HDQ with the same interview format as last year. Applicants can expect a formal response to their status in eight to nine weeks after their interview.

Please visit www.southwestairlines.com and follow the prompts to the career section of the website. All required forms and information for Pilot Recruitment are available for download.

Chief Pilots

Dumb Question ...

Rob,
do you know what SWA means by "hired". Does that refer to "on property", "in the pool with type", or "we like you go get your type"?
If, as I suspect, "hired" means on property then could you offer any insight into the descepency between the 200 hired in 2002 in the letter and the rampant rumours of 600+ (which seems to backed by the training schedule)

I considered posting the letter Rob posted last night, but feared putting info out there that I couldn't explain. My guess is the intent of the memo was to get input from us (SWA pilots) about guys that have not yet hit the DB (285 Jan interviews and folks beyond that as well). I'll try to ask today, and post something tonight if Rob doesn't beat me to the answer.

I think there's probably some discrepancy in what they "officially project" for hiring, and what they actually THINK they're going to hire.

It seems fairly likely that there were on the order of 150-200 people still "in the pool" when training "paused" in Nov-Dec. Now they're interviewing 285 in Jan/Feb? The "hiring rate" I'd always heard rumored for SWA was about 50% of the interviewees (although I've never seen any verification of that). If true, that would put about 290-340 into the pool.

Would they really spend the money to interview/background check/drug test 340 guys, and then only "hire" 200?

P.S. the "official number" was 165 about 3 weeks ago, which wouldn't have emptied the current pool, let alone allowed for "hiring" any of the Jan interviewees.

They'll do what they think makes good "business sense," I'm sure, but the number 200 doesn't seem to jibe with all the interviewing and "ramping up" of the training system they are doing...

Questions

To all of you who have interviewed lately-

Did anyone ask your tour guide when Jan. interviewees would start class if hired? Last I heard was April/May time frame but that doesn't seem to jibe with what has been posted. Example: Someone with "pool date" of Nov 6th was told May class, if so how could Jan. "pool date" people be in April/May.

To anyone who may know the answer-

My friend was told he would be in April 18th class. However, if one looks at a calender and counts the classes every two weeks- April 18th wouldn't be a class date. Does anyone know what the April dates will be? Are they planning to skip a week somewhere?

Finally, has anyone gotten any new info (last couple of weeks) on the number of people hired and waiting to start class?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

swa

Jake,

I spoke with JM this week and was told, best case for me would be a late April or early May date. I jumped into the pool October 31st. She also mentioned it would depend on the stop loss folks.

Who really knows what the big picture is over there. I know I don't have it and they only seem to let a select few see it. So, all I can do is wait patiently as I can, as hard as it is, and hope I get in sooner.

Good luck to everyone interviewing and if you're in the pool please don't pee, it's almost time to get out...

SWA pool info

I interviewed yesterday (Jan 25th) and the briefer advised that SWA was planning a class every 2 weeks through about May. This would pretty much deplete their pilot pool and that my group would be looking for a class in June or beyond. Hope this info helps.

update

Future SWA pilots,
As I'm sitting here in Oakland on reserve, I thought I could share some good information updating SWA's hiring projections for 2002. I'm reading over a memo containing the most recent (24 Jan) planned 2002 new hire pilot classes:

New Hire Class 01 - Jan 03
NH 02 - Jan 17
NH 03 - Jan 31
NH 04 - Feb 04
NH 05 - Feb 28
NH 06 - Mar 14
NH 07 - Mar 27
NH 08 - Apr 11
NH 09 - Apr 25
NH 10 - May 09
NH 11 - May 23
NH 12 - Jun 06
NH 13 - Jun 20
NH 14 - Jul 03
NH 15 - Jul 18
NH 16 - Aug 01
NH 17 - Aug 15
NH 18 - Aug 29

Just talked to the chief pilot here, and he says from starting May, classes will be 26 per. I'm not sure about before that, probably 22-26. Hope this helps, SWA's a great place to work!

livinthedream

Hi everybody,

I just spoke with one of the Chief Pilots today, and he said that the present plan for 2002 hiring is 420 pilots. That's a lot better than some of the numbers that have been floating around! It sure looks like a lot more classes are on the roster now, which is outstanding news for everybody!

My class date is now officially February 14 per the Chief Pilot!

See you all there!

Vee:)

Latest resources

Back