• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SW buys Spirits DCA slots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spirit is relocating all DC ops to BWI effective September 6, 2012.

Good move for Spirit. BWI is basically a fortress hub for SWA/Airtran. With NKs super low CASM they will be able to chip away at some of the bread and butter WN routes.

Spirit is the new SW (or maybe the new AT is a better comparison) they have the low costs, they are a small up-and-comer and they are aggressive. They also have a strong balance sheet. The cycle is continuous, there is always a new low cost competitor to play the role that SW once played before it became a large, mature airline. If Spirit can maintain low labor costs, grow continuously (which adds new employees and keeps the average tenure down) and serve the low budget flyer market they will have the advantages that SW once had except for maybe the strong culture of good employee relations. I don't know how they will do in the long run but they seem to be in a good position right now to grow and prosper. If you look at what they are doing in DFW and BWI they are not afraid to nip at SW's heels. SW is at a crossroads, they don't know what they want to be now that they have grown up, I think Spirit has a plan and is going for it.

Nk bwi fll

Just shortly after NK announced they were flying BWI FLL, SWA/FL announced 4 additional fights per day BWI FLL with fares as low as $59.00 one way. Service on SWA/FL starts Sept 6th I do believe.

Just shortly after NK announced they were flying BWI FLL, SWA/FL announced 4 additional fights per day BWI FLL with fares as low as $59.00 one way. Service on SWA/FL starts Sept 6th I do believe.

That should coincide with the announced closure of SWA's 4-5 flights/day MCO-FLL.

A general shift by Southwest away from short haul and using those aircraft for longer haul flight with a higher yield. Especially if the flights show a larger number of connecting passengers on that first short haul flight.

Latest resources

Back