Sussex Airport, New Jersey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Icelandair,

How long ago did you take lessons there? I heard the airport was going to be sold to the state. I wonder how it would change? (Maybe a new tower?).

I flew there starting in the late 80's and last flew there in 1997. We may know a few of the same people?

That the one just north of MMU? I flew a Citation in there years ago, right after 9/11 when almost everything else around there was full or closed. Much better to overnight than TEB, thats for sure. :)

I fly in a few times a year to visit family. Heavy parachute activity and very little in the way of facilities. Also an uncomfortably close hill if you are departing to the north at gross. What are you interested in knowing?

Skyboy, are you sure you're not thinking of Essex County. The closest thing to a jet at Sussex is the turboprop Cessna they use for the jumpers.

lasflyer said:
Skyboy, are you sure you're not thinking of Essex County. The closest thing to a jet at Sussex is the turboprop Cessna they use for the jumpers.

Ah yes, you are correct. Thanks.

I took lessons there beginning in 1997, but they were on and off. Blue Max Aviation had just come into being there. Interesting airport with the big hill right on the end of the runway.

Icelandair;

You must know Wild Bill, right? I used to work at the airport as a kid, when I was in highschool (in the mid-late 80s). I worked for flight time, took a REALLY long time to get my license that way. It was a great place to learn about aviation, and I met a ton of really awesome people.

Leo Loudenslager used to fly out of there, now there's a memorial for him right next to his old hangar. He was THE MAN, 7 time national aerobatic champion, and an airline captain to boot! I don't think it gets any better than that!

Last time I was in there, one of the old airport bums up in the "Tower" was telling us that the airport is for sale. I hope this does not mean condos on the property. :(
The airshows they had there sounded pretty fun, and I wish I could have been there.

Latest resources

Back