• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Survival School! Any tips? n/t

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My understanding of POW/survival training is that it is Top Secret. I could be wrong, but I think I read that on one of those UPT journals.

SERE school comes in different levels. Level C which is at Ft Bragg is the highest any pilot will normally attend. Usually only a small portion of Army pilots will attend this school, most people who attend this school are people in the special operations community ie. Delta, Green Berets, Rangers, Marine Recon, Seals, AF Spec ops. There is a Level B School which is for special-special operators, this school deals more with terrorist type scenarios. I believe the AF and Navy SERE schools are level D.

All students of these schools must sign a paper saying that they will not talk about specific things relating to the training.

You can count on:

- learning a lot of good things to stay alive
- Being Cold
- Being Tired
- Being Hungry

Tips? When you get back from the field, don't order the extra large Pizza. You'll take two bites and won't be able to eat any more of it.

hydrate yourself before you get there and don't sneak any power bars/energy meal bars in your flight suit.

Best way to describe SERE is it's by far the best school I ever attended and I would sooner turn in my wings than go back.

Good Luck!

I hated that school more than any other.

Practice three things:

1. Tie your hands behind your back, put a hood over your head cinched tight at the neck and let some big f*cker beat the sh*t out of you.

2. Learn how to breath when you are strapped to a downward inclined board , feet up and head down, with that same big f*cker pouring gallons of water over your face for a 30 minute session.

3. Learn how to forage for food in an area that has been continuously picked clean of every edible plant and animal by the previous 300 classes.

DaveGRiffin - Thanks for the memories :D

Just remember - it ends in a few days...some guys spent 8 1/2 years in a far worse condition.

PUKE

TankerPuke said:
Just remember - it ends in a few days...some guys spent 8 1/2 years in a far worse condition.

PUKE

Exactly. The most sobering element of that school was knowing that the "semi-realistic" instruction couldn't even come close to the real thing....and the school only lasted a week.

Postscript: I've always harbored a grudge against the instructors....they seemed to enjoy their job too much.

Latest resources

Back