Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boeing747Driver

Nitromethane
I have a friend that is considering a career as a Helicopter pilot.

I was just curious how a person progresses via the civilian ranks and what the future looks like for hiring.

Again I am a fixed wing guy and have no clue about the helicopter side.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Hey Boeing 747.

It's a good time for the helo industry. The Vietnam era sticks are retiring, and they are continuing to lower the mins for jobs. Helo drivers are harder to find, but the applications are becoming more widespread. So they can't find enough pilots from what I've been hearing, but like the fixed wings it's all cyclical.

The downside is that it's more expensive to get trained. Once you do, you have to find the job that will build your time so you can move on to the turbine ships. The most effective way that I know is doing the CFI thing in the light pistons -namely the R22s and the Schweizers. I would try to avoid this however, because you are putting yourself at risk for an incident if not worse. Practicing an engine failiure with a student in a light piston helo is a lot different then in a Cessna. Things happen in a hurry, slight inputs and a milisecond late can result in a blemish on your record if not worse. This is what I was told by a helo instructor who incidently cracked one into the pavement and did about 70k worth of damage. He's the second CFI with a mishap that I have met. If you can avoid the cfi thing and do traffic watch, pipeline patrol or whatever - take it! However the CFI is pretty much the quickest way up.

After that a lot of people fly the oil platforms in the gulf of mex. It's boring but it builds the time. After that you've done that for a while, you can try air amulance, news/media etc. you name it.

I'm no expert but this is what I've heard in the relativiely short amount of time I've been in them which is only about a year and a half.

hope it helps

Hey Boing747.

Unfortunately, from what I've read, the PAY is not YET reflecting the EXCESS DEMAND for helo pilots.

Basically it depends on the (U.S) region. The salary survey is divided between regions from Alaska to the SE coast and catagorized between public service, commercial, and corporate; further divided between piston and turbine, single and multie engine.

I'll start low and go high.
from about 20k-122k.

I have a friend that is considering a career as a Helicopter pilot.

I was just curious how a person progresses via the civilian ranks and what the future looks like for hiring.

Again I am a fixed wing guy and have no clue about the helicopter side.

Any insight would be appreciated.

It's a GREAT time to get in. Once you get your ticket, you can look forward to doing the CFI thingee, just like fixed wing.

There is a REAL shortage of utility helo pilots- the guys that do everthing from slinging air conditioner units to running charters. The utility market id hard to break into, but once you get there, its a good job.

Lots of Vietnam guys are retiring and the supply of qualified pilots is drying up FAST!

Boeing Driver-

Brian Hudson has put together a pretty comprehensive website showcasing helicopter salaries. This is the link:

http://brian.hudson.home.mchsi.com/helopay/index.htm

In a nutshell, a helo pilot will start at a higher pay than most in the FW industry(~$50k), but top out only about $65K. It is a fairly flat income potential.

Kuma

Helo pilots coming out of the military are now hot candidates for most all entry-level FW jobs. 8 years ago there was there was a feeling among hiring managers with FW prejudiced that RW pilots were not real pilots. Time has proven that to be incorrect, RW pilots are great pilots. This has put additional pressure on the supply side for the traditional source of military RW pilots. It used to be to get RW job you had to military training, but that has changed as that source dries up.

Latest resources

Back