Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigs024

Hey Everyone,

I'm a CFI candidate in Florida, and am going to be completing my training in a couple of months. I have aspirations of going to the regionals (eventually), but have come to the conclusion that the bridge program I'm enrolled in is just not going to be worth the money...which is a different post for a different day. So now that I've decided that there is no "short" route to the airlines, I am faced with the challenge of withdrawing the remainder of the money from my flight account, and finding a position to build my time the old-fashioned way while concurrently paying off the considerable student loan I have incurred to this point.

I know that everyone says teaching is the way to go, but I'd really like to find out more about some of the other ways for lower time guys to build time. I've been skydiving a couple of times and absolutely LOVED it, so I thought I'd look into maybe trying to find something flying a 182 and getting into skydiving at the same time. Banner towing and traffic watch are another couple of things I'm researching. Does anybody know of a reputable school in the southeast that teaches banner towing and maybe has a decent network of contacts for their "graduates."? Any other "off-the-beaten-path" suggestions for building time (and yes, I've used the search button and reviewed previous posts).

I'm new to this forum and have found it to be an excellent source of information. Especially thanks to the "grizzled veterans" of this business who are willing to share their expertise with us younger guys. BTW, I'm a career changer also (29 y/o) so don't necessarily have to have flying as my primary source of income...just so long as I'm up in the air, building time, and doing what I love. Looking forward to your posts.

I think you have some very good ideas about building time. Traffic watch, CFI, banner towing. All of those are great time builders and it won't take you long to get up to the time you need to get on with a regional. I can't think of any others except maybe pipeline patrol, but I don't think you will have the hours as of yet yo do that. I htink you made a wise decision to do it the old fashion way! Good choice and the best of luck to you. JUst be patient and it will come. NOthing in life that is worth it is easy.

Take care and fly safe.

Latest resources

Back