Super Hornet scores guns kill on Raptor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DaveGriffin said:
Sorry to dissapoint you with praise from a squid. But that is my experience with the USMC. Am I wrong?

The AF is more interested in their self-preservationm doctrine than they are about supporting the Grunts.

The A-10 guys are hot sh*t, but the AF is getting rid of them because the mission is not high-tech (like the F-22).

My whole point here is that everybody's got their job to do and they all do it well. This inter-service rivalry stuff has some value, but the deep felt antipathy is just ridiculous. I got over that nonsense as soon as I grew up and realized that Marines weren't Gods gift to humanity. Granted, I'm a little more "diversity" minded because I've now been in two different services, but ultimately we all need to realize we're fighting for the same common good.

Waltzing in here and telling all these professional military pilots how things are and how AF bubbas are "prima donna frat boys" doesn't help your credibility one bit. In my experience, every service has it's strong and weak points. Poking fun is one thing but making broad sweeping statements about people's line of work that you don't personally do is absurd.

Maj said:
Training Rules, Schmaining Rules.

Is it still 1000' dissimilar? The first frame shows 1000' exactly with BATR cue on the target. Slight overshoot and KIO for TR's if they didn't brief 500' (we always used 500' bubble Navy v Navy). Either way, nice shootin' Tex.

That's what happens when you're so confident in your BVR capability (which I'm sure they slayed BVR if they had PHID). You lose the BFM skills. The Hornet/Super is tough to beat in the phone booth if you (Hornet) can keep the pressure on. (Cue chest thumping) I've seen a lot of Eagles/Vipers/German Migs in the front window.

I heard somewhere that the Raptor gets a 1000' min bubble since it doesn't move quite like most dudes are used to when it's defensive.

...or maybe the USAF doesn't want to risk a little fender bender with the new car. Probably a combination of both.

Fury220 said:
You're full of sh!t. The A-10 is getting upgraded avionics and engines.

The A-10C.

For a poser, you sure are entertaining.

You are dumber than you look Fury220.

The A-10 has been being phased out by the AF for years. The C upgrade program ($360 million) is a drop in the bucket. Tell me how many AF General Officers are A-10 alum. Not many, if any. Tell me how may new A-10s are being built.

The correct spelling is poseur, limp-dick.

DaveGriffin said:
You are dumber than you look Fury220.

The A-10 has been being phased out by the AF for years. The C upgrade program ($360 million) is a drop in the bucket. Tell me how many AF General Officers are A-10 alum. Not many, if any. Tell me how may new A-10s are being built.

The correct spelling is poseur, limp-dick.

Hey genius, here's a bio for you:

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=6051

Commander, Air Combat Command. Scroll down to aircraft flown.

Dang, here's another: http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5812

Commander, USAFE.

Last edited:
The Marines wanted a 1000' bubble when I got to fight them. They also had some rules about soft/hard decks where they were AOA limited and no guns jinks below the soft deck. Try doing bfm/acm when the soft deck is 18k.

And new A-10s being built? Are you serious?

DaveGriffin said:
Note: Except for Sig600, a total a'hole, who is an alternate lifestyle dude, if you know what I mean.

Sorry dude... didn't realize that having an educated/realistic opinion was "alternate."

"Pretty much, that plus ......'I like getting below 15,000 ft AGL so I can get a better ordinance palcement on the bad guys and support the troops who need the CAS I provide."

Ask any ground guy who has requested fast-response air support. In the absence of A-10s, it is the Navy and Marine pilots who really thrive on getting there fast and getting down in the fight.

The AF guys are all about following established AF doctrine and staying way up high so they won't be called 'cowboys' by their commanders."

Dave Dave Dave,
You are stuck on stupid. I guess you have never heard of the AC-130 helping out the grunts. Oh, I guess you have never heard of the B-52 laying waste to entire divisions. Oh, I guess you have never been over to Iraq and seen the mudhens and f-16s dropping 500lbs on insurgent heads....on a daily basis. Ever been to Afghanistan and seen the A-10 in action? Probably not. You see, if you had heard of any of this, you would not be talking like some pimple faced punk behind his daddy's computer playing "Combat Flight Simulator."

Dave- I hereby award you a nice shiny set of clown shoes. As a Naval Aviator (Navy Pilot, whatever, I'm not that particular), I'd apperciate less support from you. Its like the retarded girl that sits next to the cheerleading squad having a crush on you and yelling your name at embarrassing junctures during a sporting event.

Laxman- Where were you working w/ an 18K soft deck? Was it Fallon?

Fury- You forgot to add the part about us all patting each other on the ass as we say "Nice trap." It really adds to the "culture"

By the way, its a great picture, but no one is ever going to saddle up on the Raptor without sucking down a few AMRAAMs to the forehead first.

Sorry to jump in without a high post count to build my credibility. I've been busy trying to "find the boat" for awhile. Have a great one.

guppygoshawk said:
Dave- I hereby award you a nice shiny set of clown shoes. As a Naval Aviator (Navy Pilot, whatever, I'm not that particular), I'd apperciate less support from you. Its like the retarded girl that sits next to the cheerleading squad having a crush on you and yelling your name at embarrassing junctures during a sporting event.

Laxman- Where were you working w/ an 18K soft deck? Was it Fallon?

Fury- You forgot to add the part about us all patting each other on the ass as we say "Nice trap." It really adds to the "culture"

By the way, its a great picture, but no one is ever going to saddle up on the Raptor without sucking down a few AMRAAMs to the forehead first.

Sorry to jump in without a high post count to build my credibility. I've been busy trying to "find the boat" for awhile. Have a great one.

At least you can take a joke. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back