Super Cub Jobs- Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

champilot38

I am currently flying super cubs towing banners. I will have about 750 hours by the fall and was wondering what I might be able to do next summer. I would love to be able to find employment in Alaska to be able to relocate there. Any suggestions?

Champilot38,

Any suggestions? Just go. If that is what you want, then the only way that you're really going to make it happen (if you're serious, and not just flirting with the fancy) is to go to Alaska. I am actually here right now on a fire contract, and it is awesome. This season I've flown the length and breadth of the State, from the Kenai Peninsula to the North Slope, from Canada to Kotzebue. If you've never been here, it's amazing the size of the state and the varying topography.

Aviation is alive and well here in AK. There are single engine VFR jobs, I'm sure. Probably scenic flights in the more heavily touristed areas, and possibly some VFR 135 flying the bush. I do know that a lot of jobs up here require "Alaska Time". The only way you'll get that is by being here. Also, while I mentioned in your firefighting post that having your A&P isn't as valued anymore in that business, up here in AK it is a major plus.

Whether you want to spray crops, fight fires, or fly Alaska, the advice will pretty much be the same, with subtle nuances. Show up at your potential employers office, resume in hand, ready to go to work. A lot of the aviation careers that you are interested in, have a lot of other people interested in them as well. Standing in front of their desk, resume in hand, ready to go to work today certainly beats the anonymous resume mailed from thousands of miles away. To illustrate this, I'm currently looking for work in the Southeast. I have sent out resume's from "thousands of miles away", with some good responses, but the majority of them replied with something to the effect of, "We like your resume, come see us when you get here."

A dream will remain a dream unless a plan to attain that dream is formulated, and appropriate action is taken. I just wrote that down, but the idea behind it is certainly not original. If it's to fly in Alaska, make a plan to come here, and follow through. Are you willing to take a non-flying job like shop help or lineman? You might possibly settle on a non-aviation job until you get to know some people up here. I don't know what you are willing to do to make it happen, only you know.

Whatever you decide on doing, good luck.

Stonefly

Last edited:
Stone...
How have you liked the fire flying you're doing? As an ATP/A&P/IA with a couple of AK seasons, I've always wondered if I'd like the seasonal fire stuff. Are you patrol, attack, lead?

Ronin

Hey, Flyalot! How's it goin? Still diggin your new gig?

120+ degrees down there I heard? Whew! I think it got all the way up to 63 degrees here, today! LOL! Sorry, I had to jab!

Keep smiling!

Ronin

Hey Ronin,

I'm flying co-pilot in a CASA-212 on a Smokejumper contract. Great flying, great bunch of guys. Like the rest of fire, it's hot and cold as to the frequency of flying. Shoot Bighorn a resume, you never know what'll happen. Also, I hear that the AK state forestry has (might have) a pilot position open. You can probably find out more on their website. They've got a nice operation flying patrol, air attack, and lead with cool a/c like Pilatus PC-7's and Beavers. There are also other companies flying twin commanders up here on fed contracts. One of them I think is Suburban out of Nebraska or the Dakotas somewhere. A little research could find out who they are. Also, not seasonal work, but I saw in the local paper that Everts was looking for flight crews. Hope this helps.

Stonefly

Frozen, Can't tell you how hot!

I have been in SD for the last week on days off!!!!!!!!!!!

Head back on Sunday. I will be wishing to be up north then!

No JAB, Just fun.
Late

Hey Ronin,

I'm flying co-pilot in a CASA-212 on a Smokejumper contract. Great flying, great bunch of guys. Like the rest of fire, it's hot and cold as to the frequency of flying. Shoot Bighorn a resume, you never know what'll happen. Also, I hear that the AK state forestry has (might have) a pilot position open. You can probably find out more on their website. They've got a nice operation flying patrol, air attack, and lead with cool a/c like Pilatus PC-7's and Beavers. There are also other companies flying twin commanders up here on fed contracts. One of them I think is Suburban out of Nebraska or the Dakotas somewhere. A little research could find out who they are. Also, not seasonal work, but I saw in the local paper that Everts was looking for flight crews. Hope this helps.

Stonefly

I almost sent Bighorn a resume for a copilot job there. I thought I was going to fly PIC in another companies jumpship, but didnt pan out.

Latest resources

Back