• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

super charged vrs turbo charged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The flip side of this is that because the supercharger is directly connected, it doesn't suffer from the lag that turbos do. On a turbo, the turbine needs to spool up, which results in a bit of lag before it begins providing boost.

Sounds like you've driven a Saab...

If you're talking about aircraft engines, turbocharging is more common than supercharging- probably because the supercharger's drive belt is one more thing to break in an airplane (there are gear-driven designs too, but it's still more complex).

Most aircraft engine supercharging, virtually all of them, are engine driven at the back of the accessory case. Typically superchargers use a clutch to vary between high and low blower positions.

Turbo-compounding- Not really supercharging at all, but using an exhaust-driven turbine that is connected to the crankshaft by a gearbox. Used to recover lost energy in the exhaust and return it to the crankshaft as additional power.

The turbocompound R3350 utilized a supercharger as well as power recovery turbines, which provided drive back to the engine mechanically through a fluid coupling, so yes, it really is supercharged...the compound in turbocompound is supercharging plus the PRT's.

avbug said:
The turbocompound R3350 utilized a supercharger as well as power recovery turbines, which provided drive back to the engine mechanically through a fluid coupling, so yes, it really is supercharged...the compound in turbocompound is supercharging plus the PRT's.

Man those mofo's were complex weren't they? I'm suprised they didn't have 1 flight eng. for each motor. From what I understand pax in those days weren't phased at all when a shutdown occured. I also read that the exaust developed quite a bit of thrust.

In line with the subject matter, if you ever fly, especially a 400 Series Cessna that still has Turbo Charged on the side or on the cowls, watch the lineman very closely when refueling.

www.bdkingpress.com

BD King said:
In line with the subject matter, if you ever fly, especially a 400 Series Cessna that still has Turbo Charged on the side or on the cowls, watch the lineman very closely when refueling.

Seems like I'd heard that the "turbo system" that Cessna put on the cowls was required to be covered or removed by an Airworthiness Directive. Anyone know if this was true?

The main difference is that supercharging is kind of 70's cool (think Road Warrior) while turbo-boost is definately 80's cool (think Michael Knight and K.I.T.T.)

Man those mofo's were complex weren't they? I'm suprised they didn't have 1 flight eng. for each motor. From what I understand pax in those days weren't phased at all when a shutdown occured. I also read that the exaust developed quite a bit of thrust.

No more complex than any other round engine. They were perhaps the highest evoloution of the radial engine. Operating the 3350 is no more complex than any other engine...certainly they don't demand the attention of a flight engineer of their own accord. I don't recall ever hearing that the exaust put out any significant amount of thrust, though I'm sure it may impart something. If that were the case, the exhaust would probably be angled back to take advantage of the "thrust."

If by passengers not being "phased" you mean that engine failures were common, that's partially true. Anybody who has flown round engines very much understands why I often say that an engine failure is not necessarily an emergency. It's a routine abnormal condition, and doesn't necessarily warrant much excitement.

avbug said:
I don't recall ever hearing that the exaust put out any significant amount of thrust, though I'm sure it may impart something. If that were the case, the exhaust would probably be angled back to take advantage of the "thrust."

The exhaust stacks on the DC-6 point straight back, ostensibley to take advantage of exhaust thrust, according to one of my Douglas manuals. I don't have the book in front of me, but is seems like I recall they were claiming to recover several hundred horspower that way.

A Squared said:
The exhaust stacks on the DC-6 point straight back, ostensibley to take advantage of exhaust thrust, according to one of my Douglas manuals. I don't have the book in front of me, but is seems like I recall they were claiming to recover several hundred horspower that way.

I'd love to see that part of the book. I remain fairly skeptical about that particular claim.

A Squared said:
Seems like I'd heard that the "turbo system" that Cessna put on the cowls was required to be covered or removed by an Airworthiness Directive. Anyone know if this was true?

Don't know if it was required but the turbo Aztec at my school says "Charged" on the cowling.

No word on wether it's paid off or not yet ;)

Latest resources

Back