• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sun Valley, ID

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airport manager Rick Baird is furious. He's expecting 600 to 800 takeoffs and landings because the retreat's opening day is also the peak day for departures after the Fourth of July holiday.

I guess I don't quite see what the big deal is. My home airport PAO routinely gets over 600 operations per day, with one runway and everything from Citabrias to King Airs in the mix. Anybody?

wxman13 said:
I guess I don't quite see what the big deal is. My home airport PAO routinely gets over 600 operations per day, with one runway and everything from Citabrias to King Airs in the mix. Anybody?

Probably the biggest problem is their limited ramp space. There's not much. There's more now than there was a year or more ago(the FBO moved to a bigger ramp area, but are now in a portable building). Plus, SUN is a one way in, one way out airport pretty much. You land to the North, depart to the South - due to the terrain in the area. It's also a day only airport for most aircraft.

wxman13 said:

Big difference: Sun Valley is basically a one way airport in the mountains well below radar coverage. If you want to fly a downwind you better be 3000 AGL or more; otherwise it's a 10 mile straight in. While you are on the approach, nobody can leave, unless you cancel; if you do, they shoot a G5 at you.

Latest resources

Back