Sun Shades for 737?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

five-alive

Anyone know where to purchase some custom fit shades for the 737 that fit in your flight bag? There has to be something better than sticking checklists in the window.

For R1, 2, i use checklist, R3, a sun shade from auto part. $4. It came in two big shades. Silver on one side, black on the other. They twist into a small size. Covering the R3 makes a huge difference with ur comfort. I use it all the time.

The new 737's come with the retractable shades like in the 753, 767, & 777. The useless eyebrow windows are all plugged on CAL's fleet thankfully.

DIY....

1. Tear newspaper to make templates that fit exactly into the sliding window and rear window. USA Today only, no other newspaper will work.
2. At Autozone get a roll of 95% or 98% window tinting.
3. Using templates from step 1., cut out pieces from the roll of window tint to match windows, ADDING one inch all around.
4. Take the tint cutouts from step 3. to Office Max and laminate them. They're the only office store with a large laminator. The laminator will leave some wrinkles and air bubbles, but this does not affect their effectiveness in an way.

Fairly cheap, and if you lose one just keep the paper template and make more. Needs to be one inch larger than template because once they're folded they lose some size. Also, being slightly larger allows them to stay in the window without other support. Same for the laminating; gives it some stiffness so it will stand up on it's own in the window.

Put them in as soon as I sit down and leave them in until push back. Brings temp down significantly. Back in at cruise. They are no darker than the too-small removeable shade that comes with the plane so you can see though it just as well.

They fit underneath the aircraft-installed shade too, the ones that are light yellow, that don't cover the whole piece of glass so that the sun is always poking you in the eye. These go from frame to frame, no sun gets through.

Last edited:
sweet...thanks guys

the only reservation I have with the aeroshields is that they depend on suction cups which lose their suction after awhile and keep coming off...any experiences with this?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back