Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
the reality about the runup in oil is not about party label and the iraq war... worldwide demand and a weak dollar have caused the spike. the weak dollar means it would take alot more to buy the same barrel. if the dollar had not taken its plunge due to the recession, then oil would be in the low 70s right now. this what has caused a runup in commodities

this from a finance/economics professor.... is he right?

He is right to some extent... I also have an MBA in Finance and have studied the commodities market..

To say the war and Iraq has nothing to do with it, and by extension the political party supporting it, is tantamount to saying "you're dying of a heart attack, but you're eating habits and smoking have nothing to do with it!"

The markets hate instability... the war in Iraq, the talk about attacking Iran, and such is all feeding into these prices.. The only people making money as result are the Big Oil companies (to a lesser extent OPEC nations). Those Big Oil companies also happen to be bed fellows to a particular part... One I might add used to support for social conservative reasons.. but no more.. enough is enough.

Corporate greed, speculative marketeers and unchecked capitalism is as evil as Godless communism... we need to strike a balance.

BTW.. mark my words.. this speculative bubble bringing us $111/barrel oil is going to burst... just as the .com bubble did, and just as the real estate bubble did... this is a law of economics.

Corporate greed, speculative marketeers and unchecked capitalism is as evil as Godless communism... we need to strike a balance.

BTW.. mark my words.. this speculative bubble bringing us $111/barrel oil is going to burst... just as the .com bubble did, and just as the real estate bubble did... this is a law of economics.

Wow . . . . them's some bold words there FMS, but I think there's some substance to them. Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

Just take a look around you in the world, and the US today.. look at were the middle class has gone? Look at the squeeze that is in effect.

While the rest of the airline industry is dying due to lack of strong pricing power and demand, the corporate jet operations, XO, NetJets, FO are all hiring strong..

I won't get into a long winded debate.. I was a republican free marketeer in my youth, I'm now far more pragmatic. Unchecked capitalism is as bad as communism. Even William F. Buckley (whom I have the highest respect) in his paper about EAL and Frank Lorenzo said so much.

If you want more on the oil price thing, I'm not sure if that's what you wanted.. My take on that is simple, nothing in investment lasts for ever.. the investment du jur was .com, then housing, then gold and silver... now oil.. next???

Oil will be below $70/barrel in the future.. when, I don't pretend to know.

The slowdown in the US economy alone is enough to remove 1/3 of the price from the fundamental demand.

Guys, this thread was about Sun Country, not your political opinions.....please take your discussion to the non aviation forum.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back