Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TRBojet

For anyone interested in a summer flying job:

My company is looking for one or more (not sure) aerial attack pilot for the upcoming fire season. It's a CWN (Call When Needed) 3-month contract flying a Twin Commander. Basically, that means that some forest agency (mostly Western) will call and you will go to a specific region for fire surveillance. I have limited knowledge about the specifics of the flying, but I think you just take up a another person who "controls" the actual firefighting from the air.

I think the minimuns are similar to IFR 135 mins:

1500TT or PIC (not sure), 100 Night, etc.
25 in AC-50 (which could be provided by our company)

Pay is $1800 base salary, plus $15/flt. hour, and $85-100 a day per diem. Not a bad way to make some money for a summer job. I think the last year's CWN airplane flew between 250-300 hours for the contract length.

All these numbers are not firm, but they should be real close. PM for further details about applying or more info.

Just to clarify.....

The $1800 salary is PER MONTH, NOT a 3-month total.

Sorry.

I'd do it if I had the hours. Sounds like the $ adds up, and fun to boot.

yeah, it can be fun. I can certainly recommend it.

Just a little more info. The job requires 200 multi, 100 of which needs be in the last 12 months. This is a government requirement. However, if you are close, the comany will get you 25 hours in the AC-50 to meet the time in type requirement.

I did it a couple of summers ago, and it is unlike anything else I've seen in aviation. 500 feet above and head to head with heavy tankers making drops. Real cool. Very dependant on the fire season. Either too busy or sitting on your butt. Very little in between.

Great idea to post here, TRBojet.

Man I'd jump on this in a second if I lived out west, the AC-50 is a blast to fly, and trucking around low and fast like that, minus the thermals, could be in for some fun flying.

Last edited:
CelticCitation --

So now it's in public: the company will train anybody off the street but not me?

Seriously, firefighting can be pretty cool. You carry a firefighter with you, and it's not unheard of to be working four radios at once between the two of you. You meet some interesting people, the pay can be pretty good, and every now and then you get to feel like you did something that makes a difference. On one of my first fires, we spotted an outbreak headed for a fire truck. They were off frequency and it took some time to get the word to them that they had to MOVE. We finally got through to them and they got out of the way just in time.

Just don't get freaked out the first time that you notice that you're covered with ash.

I often brought back the Cessna 340 with ash streaks all over it after flying air attack over a fire.

I think you just have to have 100 pic hours, as long as you have the other requirements, in last year, doesnt have to be multi pic.

I just got carded on Tanker 65 yesterday, so if you hear or see Tanker 65 on a fire or tanker base, I will be there

414flyer or Prof. ATP,

I am headed down to Idaho to start the ground school in 2 weeks. Needless to say, I am as excited as anyone could be right now. And that's comin' from a bush pilot who certainly has seen his fair share.

Was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on exactly what you did when you flew air attack. The only thing I've gotten so far is "plan on movin' around". I'm looking for more specific duties etc. I'll be talking to my new boss tomorrow and might be able to get some more info., but I was just looking for some exciting stories!

THX

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back