Summer in Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PilotSkydiver said:
There is always someone who will go... No matter what the weather, there is always some Idiot thats out flying. and you're boss will let you know that he is and you're not GOOD FOR HIM. I'll make 40 thank you very much.. If you fly 135 beware of the Post Office.. they probably have contributed to more accidents in alaska than anyone else. The Idiot who is flying will get your mail from time to time and that costs your boss money, hence he trys to push you out the door.

That's a very good point that I've often wondered about. How do you say NO! without looking like the bad guy? Of course, some will probably always think less of you for saying it, but there's gotta be some way of explaining it.

For example: "I understand this generator needs to go out today, but look we're overweight here on this chart. We'll do what we can today and deliver it tomorrow".

Just curious how some of you experienced guys have diplomatically deal w/ such a situation...

Don't say no to the customer you just figure out a way to make it happen. I will never forget a jungle pilot leaving all the survival gear in the hangar so I could go on a flight. Did we need the survival gear, not where we were flying, so it worked. Pulling out a chart is not going to impress anybody believe me. What are the ways you can tell a C-206 is well within cg and it is way more accurate than any chart. The same with a float plane. These are the type of things you have to learn, your life will depend on it.

Trick question

TurboS7 said:
Mar, guess you are spoiled now flying the 747, lots of gas, lots of gas, one way or the other. How are those crew meals?

Now my friend, how would it sound if I started complaining about the crew meals? They're fantastic!!!

Lots of gas on the 747? Sure but we always take just a splash over min.

You know, the thing about saying "No" is that one day you're the good guy and the next day you're the bad guy but that's just too bad for everyone else.

I mean, personally, I consider scud running a skill. And like most skills you need to stay proficient and sharp. If I took two weeks off and then came back to work and found some really crappy weather on my first day back, well, too bad but I ain't pushing it.

On the other hand, if I had been working really hard for a week and we got, say, a huge load of building material to move into a particular village and that's all we did (go back and forth to the same runway to the same village all day) well, there's nothing stopping me. It becomes habitual and this is when "local knowledge" becomes a serious asset.

As for following the guy who grew up out there into a pass in crappy weather...I'm with you Turbo. I once (ONCE) followed a Native pilot into the crud and I swore I'd never do that again.

The locals (natives) have a certain connection with the Earth. I'm not saying natives don't crash. They do. But plane crashes have a different significance to natives than white guys. Most white guys are out there to build time and/or make money. The native usually doesn't care about that stuff.

I'm off on a tangent with wicked jet lag.

Over and out.

mar said:
I mean, personally, I consider scud running a skill. And like most skills you need to stay proficient and sharp. If I took two weeks off and then came back to work and found some really crappy weather on my first day back, well, too bad but I ain't pushing it.

Until your engine quits, coughs, sputters for 2 seconds and you run out of Altitude, Airspeed, and Ideas all at the same time.... Personally I would go get a cup of coffee and wait an hour until you could get a thousand or so feet in the air.. (but that's probably why I got fired)

PilotSkydiver said:
Until your engine quits, coughs, sputters for 2 seconds and you run out of Altitude, Airspeed, and Ideas all at the same time.... Personally I would go get a cup of coffee and wait an hour until you could get a thousand or so feet in the air.. (but that's probably why I got fired)

1000ft lol

Let's make a deal.

PilotSkydiver said:
(but that's probably why I got fired)

I don't know why you got fired. So I won't judge you and let's make a deal that you won't judge me.

Every pilot should make decisions in the following order:

1) Is it safe?
2) Is it legal?
3) Is it comfortable for the passengers?

Beyond that, if you acknowledge that grey areas exist, then you'll admit that Safety doesn't always equal Legality.

Good luck.

dispatcher121 said:
Mar, I couldn't agree with you more! Safe doesn't necessarily mean it's legal.
We have a Captain who doesn't like alternates. EVERYTIME we add an alternate to his destination when it doesn't meet the 1-2-3 exception for FAR Part 121.619 he calls to chew our @ss and amend his release to get it removed.

The other day his destination was above mins requiring an alternate but the remarks in the metar stated there was a funnel cloud. He as usual called and wanted his alternate removed. The entire dispatch office got in on it. The dispatcher stood his ground and kept the alternate. The Captain said he will be speaking to management.

Why would he not want an alternate??

dispatcher121 said:
Mar, I couldn't agree with you more! Safe doesn't necessarily mean it's legal.
We have a Captain who doesn't like alternates. EVERYTIME we add an alternate to his destination when it doesn't meet the 1-2-3 exception for FAR Part 121.619 he calls to chew our @ss and amend his release to get it removed.

The other day his destination was above mins requiring an alternate but the remarks in the metar stated there was a funnel cloud. He as usual called and wanted his alternate removed. The entire dispatch office got in on it. The dispatcher stood his ground and kept the alternate. The Captain said he will be speaking to management.

I think I know that guy; nickname: Fumes F______.

The Hard Way

dispatcher121 said:
EVERYTIME we add an alternate to his destination when it doesn't meet the 1-2-3 exception for FAR Part 121.619 he calls to chew our @ss and amend his release to get it removed.

Weird.

Some people will only learn the hard way.

I always thought options were good--especially in flying.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back