Obama Tops List of Americans' Heroes

AOL
posted: 37 MINUTES AGO
comments: 878
filed under: National News

PrintShare
Text SizeAAA
switchFont(1,"smallText");

(Feb. 21) - Whom do you admire enough to call a hero?
That was the simple question posed to a cross-section of Americans by The Harris Poll in mid-January. When it was first done in 2001, Jesus was named more than any other person. This year, President Barack Obama topped the list.
Each respondent's answer was spontaneous -- no list of people to choose from was given to those surveyed.
Five of the top 10 heroes named most by Americans were presidents. George W. Bush, who was ranked 19 in 2001, after serving six months in office, moved up to number five on this year's list.
Mother Teresa was the only female who made the top 10 and she was among six on the list who are no longer alive.
The big surprise among Americans' most popular heroes was the emergence of Chesley Sullenberger, the pilot who famously landed a damaged US Airways jet in the Hudson River last month. He beat out the likes of some very impressive figures: God (No. 11), Hillary Clinton (No. 12), Mahatma Gandhi (No. 15), George Washington (No. 16), Oprah Winfrey (No. 20), and Sarah Palin (No. 21).
Click through the photos below to see Americans' top 10 heroes and then let us know who you would choose. The full list is here (pdf).

Pretty scarry list. The pole does not reflect half of American society. I for one did not vote for hussien. Nor do I find him a hero. Alot of words come to mind to discribe him but not that one.

Yeah really, WTF did he do? Nothing yet except put us further in debt. I'd rather vote for the turd coming out my ass that that clown. Have fun America, you reap what you sow!

Yeah really, WTF did he do? Nothing yet except put us further in debt. I'd rather vote for the turd coming out my ass that that clown. Have fun America, you reap what you sow!

That's funny, I call my turds "George Bush".

Example (in a sentence), "I gotta stock the porcelain pond with some GWs. Could you please hand me some more Rumsfeld paper?!?, this roll is almost out."

Last edited:
Pretty scarry list. The pole does not reflect half of American society. I for one did not vote for hussien. Nor do I find him a hero. Alot of words come to mind to discribe him but not that one.

More scary than a professional pilot not able to spell scary, poll, Hussein, or describe?

That's funny, I call my turds "George Bush".

Example (in a sentence), "I gotta stock the porcelain pond with some GWs. Could you please hand me some more Rumsfeld paper?!?, this roll is almost out."
I call it dropping the kids off at the pool.

Ya you are right...without spell checker watch out with my spelling.

Have fun America, you reap what you sow!

You said it brother, we are still tilling through the shiat that W(tf) managed to pile on in 8 years. Imagine the number of Obama stimilus bills (I have reservations myself) we could afford without the giant sucking sound that is the Iraq war.

Let's be honest, Obama is nothing more than hope.

We're going to need it to get ourselves out of the mess we are in. It is a mess for which ALL of us are responsible.

Latest resources

Back