• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Avi8tor2000

Big Papa
Hey,
I have an upcoming interview with a regional airline and was wondering if a dark blue suit with pinstrips would be acceptable to wear or to just go out and buy a new solid dark blue one. I know some of you will say it doesn't matter but just want to be on the safe side. Thanks for your time.

Previous Thread

There was a thread a few months back about this very issue. The discussion was very thorough -- so a search and see what you find!!

The best bet, if you are comfortable in what you are wearing, then you would be more relaxed.

Good Luck with your interview.

Dressing for Success

Yeah, I think I would still go with the old Kit Darby standard, dark navy suit, white shirt and red tie. Why give H.R. any reason to feel that you are "different?" What if everyone else shows up in a dark navy suit? Especially when it is the interview of your life.

It is so stupid, but there are times when you're far better off not to argue and give people want they want.

Try going to Joseph Banks for a suit that will look good and not set you back too far.

Lots of luck with your interview.

It shouldn't matter what you wear. I don't care as long as it isn't some outrageous color or design. A little pin strip shouldn't matter. But the sad thing is that you could do your best in an interview and if they didn't like your suit or haircut. Good chances they will put the axe to you. These HR people got there heads so far up there butt it isn't funny. Like what kind of monkey suit you have on is going to make you fly the airplane any different. And yes I have had a job offer from a regional. So I don't want someone to start flamming that I am just mad because I didn't get the job. So go spend your money you probably don't have on another suit to better you chances. NOT!!!!!!!!!!

You can sometimes find beautiful suits, dirt cheap in resale shops - especially in fairly affluent towns. I bought a designer, navy wool suit for $10.00! Found someone to do the alterations through the local dry cleaner & they cost more than the suit! Total cost - $30.00. You may have to do some digging & go back a few times but you'd be surprised at some of the great stuff you can find at these places!

I have been hired at two regionals, one jet operator, and two major airlines in a dark blue suit with pinstripes (very subtle light blue pin stripe though). At a distance you can't even see the pinstripes. I think as long as the suit is traditional and you don't look like Al Capone it will be fine.

While Hazel's recommendation may work for normal casual clothes, you don't want to settle on a bunch of "odds and ends" for an interview suit.

Go to a respected clothier (Nordstrom, etc) and they will hook you up. Make sure you get the 100% cotton shirt, they are a bitch to take care of but they look a lot better. I actually had a suit tailored for myself, it cost a few hundred more, but I got to choose the material and the fit was primo. A drop in the bucket really.

Latest resources

Back