Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crxpilot

Waaasssuuuupppppp!!!!!
Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to go about giving a 20-30 min presentation to 3rd and 5th graders about flying, airline biz, or how a plane works etc?
I volunteered at my kids school for this and to be quite honest it makes me nervous thinking about it and I dont really know how to go about making it seem interesting (I am not big into public speaking) Has anyone here done it before and have any suggestions/outlines etc?
Thank you in advance for your help!

First and foremost keep it simple. I gave a GPS class to my sons cub scout troop and got a wee bit technical on the whole space/orbit thing. Eyes quickly glazed and my prepared material became improv to the finish line. Even the den mother was head snapping!

KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid (not calling you stupid!)

Hit the highlights, skip the low's, and don't let that whole age 65, not upgrading, rant you've been stewing over taint your presentation! I jest, I jest...

Have fun with it and please report back to us with all the good questions/sharpshooting those rascally 3rd graders come up with!

Well it turned out to be a lot of fun. Like you said, I almost got bogged down with some technical stuff about planes but once I got into all the interesting aviation photos that are out there, the hands are up all over the place!
Some of my better questions:

Is that the ejection button? (cockpit photo) "no but sometimes I wish I had one!"

Do you have missiles on the plane? Another thing I wished I had...

Have you crashed the simulator?

And of course the best picture they all liked was of a cat dressed in a box that looks like a plane with the caption "I am the airplane". It was a hoot.

Anyways if you ever get the opportunity to teach at a school, I highly recommend it. I think they were just happy to see someone else besides the policeman or karate school instructors passing out flyers! (no offense to the aforementioned people!)

Latest resources

Back