Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bart

Decader
Situation: Just finished a Life Link (Organ Harvest) flight in your twin turboprop and are done for the day. Skirted a squall line getting into the airport. We are now 36 miles from home, with a level 4 15 miles across between us and home. Going around is an option, but there are numerous other storms in the area requiring a 100+ mile divert. It is 7 pm and the storm will be gone in an hour, and there is a restaurant on the field.

Do you:
A) Punch through it at 3000 feet (2,000 AGL), hell it don't look that bad. I've done it plenty before.

B) Go get dinner and fly home VFR.

C) Fly around the storm, using the time it would take to eat to fly, but still saving 30 minutes over waiting it out.

I chose B) and the Captain chose A). I am curious how other professional pilots stand on this, I felt I did the right thing, but he is still pissed with me for refusing to fly into it.

I fly into hurricanes with the Air Force Reserve. We fly WC-130s into storms at 10,000' and have had planes lose up to 3000'+ in conditions not any worse than what you're describing. That's a rare occurence, mind you, but quite possible. If I think of all the time I've wasted in my life, an hour isn't a big deal.

bart,

I don't have much experience but from what I have I can tell you that the worst thing I've ever experienced is the captain who is a "cowboy." The adreneline junkie should find something to do besides endanger other peoples lives. I would say that the best time to ask a question like the one you have is during the interview. Drill the guy you will be flying with on his intentions in times like this and other similar situations. If he doesn't like it you can bet that there is probably more "cowboy" than you want in him.

RT

Yours is a good "dumb question".

Out of 100 dangerous storms that you encounter along your way, you can probably "punch through" 99 of them successfully with no more than a higher than average pucker factor. The other one will kill you.

As soon as you can identify with 100% accuracy the one out of a hundred that's the killer, "punching through" is an option. Otherwise, it is not.

Divert! That way you can guarantee you'll live to debate about dumb questions vs dumb answers. Heroics are the placebo of the uniformed. Avoid them like the plague.

It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. The life you save will be your own.

Fly Safe. "There are old pilots and bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots."

Thanks Guys...

Thanks, I appreciate the moral support. I am certain in my mind that I did the right thing, I was just curious if there are people out there that routinely (other than Hurricane Hunters) punch Tstorms.

By the way, my nickname for him is Tex... referring to his cowboy attitude, he loves it.

Diverting is good.

It is more comfortable for the pax, and they don't throw up.

You don't end up with blistered paint due to lightning strikes.

You don't encounter that one in one hundred cell.

You are here to discuss it, next time.

Re: Thanks Guys...

bart said:
Thanks, I appreciate the moral support. I am certain in my mind that I did the right thing, I was just curious if there are people out there that routinely (other than Hurricane Hunters) punch Tstorms.

By the way, my nickname for him is Tex... referring to his cowboy attitude, he loves it.

I used to do cloud seeding on thunderstorms in south Texas last year. We would never penetrate the body of a thunderstorm. We would pop flares into developing parts of the storm at mid altitudes (18-22k), or prowl around under bases to release silver iodine particles into updrafts.

Latest resources

Back