• Friendliest aviation community on the web
No offense

I'm sure my previous post was read by a few (or just plain "few") with
an eye toward smacking flight crews. It wasn't intended that way and
there were a few times we in the OCC were red-faced for having
screwed up a flight crews day only to end up with a flight declined (in
no small part due to our screw up).

Crews, schedulers and dispatchers have all made their share of errors
which caused problems and embarrassments.

If pilots did not do their jobs, dispatch and scheduling would have no jobs at all. However, if dispatch and scheduling did not exsist I could still pilot a plane just as safely.

FLAMEBAITER said:
If pilots did not do their jobs, dispatch and scheduling would have no jobs at all. However, if dispatch and scheduling did not exsist I could still pilot a plane just as safely.

Great post.

What's your point? This was covered before in another thread. There was no winner.

Right after I got signed off, I was working the 330am start time. I get a phone call from my FO in GRR.
Rick, our FA is not going to be able to fly. He is a little under the weather.
Being oblivious to what he really ment, I ask if he can just fly the trip in, and I will get a new FA to cover him.
No, he closed out the bar last night. We had to get security to open his room door to find him butt naked on the bathroom floor.
Flight was whacked, set up the repo flight and told the FA not to go to the airport, we will fly him home later that night.
The guy got dressed in uniform, took another bus to the airport and tried convincing us, them on the phone that he was ok to fly and just really tired.
The airport police took him into custondy and he blew something like.118 BAC.

pgcfii2002 said:
Pilots who call in 10 minutes prior to departure time and inform us they have food poisoning and cannot fly.

NICE!!

Better than trying anyway and returning to the gate when they realize they are too sick to fly, or taking off and then disappearing to the lav enroute, leaving the other pilot with an incapcitated pilot scenerio. You get sick when you get sick.

Birddog said:
Better than trying anyway and returning to the gate when they realize they are too sick to fly, or taking off and then disappearing to the lav enroute, leaving the other pilot with an incapcitated pilot scenerio. You get sick when you get sick.

Ninety-eight percent of the time, if you're sick at departure time, you were sick prior to show time.

Yes, but food poisoning was specifically mentioned. The onset can very very rapid and occur with little warning. That was not only my experience, but the expience of others I know who have also had it.

Birddog said:
Yes, but food poisoning was specifically mentioned. The onset can very very rapid and occur with little warning. That was not only my experience, but the expience of others I know who have also had it.

From a scheduler's point of view sick was sick. It didn't matter when it
happened or where it happened, the plane was useless until replacement(s)
could be found.

I agree on the food poisoning call. When I was based in DTW I had dinner at one of the restaurants in the terminal. An hour later we were on the way to CLE. By the time we got halfway across the lake I was doing all I could do not to repaint the cockpit with the daily special. I spent the next 20 hours in the hotel in CLE praying to the porcelain gods. Had it happened prior to takeoff, you bet your ass that flight would not have left with me on it.

One of my historical favs...

Just coming on a midnight shift. I take a call from the on-duty guy at the FAA Comm Center, and he's all kinds of torqued off, asking about our inflight fire...

"What inflight fire", I ask...?

Turns out one of our guys inbound to Houston from the west told ZHU that he had a fire, declared, and headed for SAT. About a minute later, Captain America tells ZHU they have things under control, and are headed for Houston. Captain America failed to realize that one you ring the bell with ATC that it's damn near impossible to unring it, nor did he "bother" calling to let us know on arrival. I tracked him down in the crew lounge, and he seemed generally stunned that (1) I even knew about it, and (2) that there were ramifications (paperwork and otherwise) associated with his having uttered the E-word...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back