• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Students and freshly minted commercial pilots II

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the bump fellas. Anonimo, I feel sorry for you. Everybody thinks they're going to make a ton of money working for regionals and living the dream so they justify signing those contracts. I friend of mine went down to Flight Safety and was told after training in their FO program he'd make 30+k in his first year with a partner airline. SCHOOLS LIE!!

PAPA FOX, I love your idea. We just need to convince the trust fund kids to give us that 100k flight training loan to afford to advertise in aviation mags!

I'm sure all of these schools listed above have been guilty of violating FAR 141.23 - False Advertisement! I don't know how so many get away with it.

a) The holder of a pilot school certificate or a provisional pilot school certificate may not make any statement relating to its certification and ratings that is false or designed to mislead any person contemplating enrollment in that school.
(b) The holder of a pilot school certificate or a provisional pilot school certificate may not advertise that the school is certificated unless it clearly differentiates between courses that have been approved under part 141 of this chapter and those that have not been approved under part 141 of this chapter.
(c) The holder of a pilot school certificate or a provisional pilot school certificate must promptly remove:
(1) From vacated premises, all signs indicating that the school was certificated by the Administrator; or
(2) All indications (including signs), wherever located, that the school is certificated by the Administrator when its certificate has expired or has been surrendered, suspended, or revoked.

Justify?

If someone did one tiny bit of research into aviation careers, they would know the flight attendant in back her first year would be making the same as you first year at a Regional.........

[FONT=&quot]$936.80/month for the next 20 years (do the math on that one)

$224,832.00 AND thats if the interest rate doesnt jump up a few more points. Was your contract +/-9% ?

[/FONT]

Metro752, know one cares if you don't feel sorry for anyone or think they made a stupid mistake. Hell, anonimo states very clearly "I made a big mistake." Many, many people have made this "stupid mistake" and it's very unfortunate. I can't stand to see these flight academies get away with lying to folks and profit on their dreams only to financially destroy a LARGE portion of their lives. We need to help inform, not smear their face in the "stupid mistake."

Last edited:
Raise the Awareness

8.69% or so - estimated at 5.56% when I signed. Even though I didn't have problems with training/checkrides, I still had to pull out more money than advertised for increased hourly rates and for a cumulative 4 months of waiting around for an airworthy airplane (while paying rent/utilities). This has happened to so many of the students at this school that some max out their loan (of course some of these students are blowing their money on things they don't need), and are unable to finish the program. The school didn't really show much concern, it's purpose is to keep recruiting.

Metro, you have already given a justification: people do not do adequate research. Then add to the fact that many are blinded by an illusion, and then they get all pumped up and motivated by these salespeople to sign up. It is still happening all the time.

Mcjohn, I do like the idea, a 1-page ad in flying/aviation magazines - something to break up the illusions that these schools/academies portray. It is all about awareness.

Well at least my rage has paid off somewhat - some of my ventures into real estate with my wife (in central america) are yielding a passive monthly income that more or less covers my loan payments. I have made a big mistake, and I'm going to fix it.

Yeah there is some good real estate down there - plus all the legalities are not as stringent as in the U.S, so it is a simpler process.
As for work, I am flying now.
I guess I could mention the school I attended - not to say I did not meet some good people there, and had some good training. I did keep up a positive attitude and worked hard. Still, I give my absolute supreme recommendation to anyone not to sign up for the complete program, even if you have the money to fork out. In fact, don't sign up for any of the training. Give your support to your local FBO/mom & pop operation if you can - well, that is what I think. I have observed that it doesn't really matter whether you go part 141 or 61. Just be focused, know what you want, have fun.

As for the school I attended, it was raa.

On a side note, JSKY26 mentioned earlier FAR 141.23 - false advertisement. I almost pulled that one out on the CEO when I was at raa because 141.23 was being violated, and I had/have the proof...for a while I was getting other students' consent to sign a letter to the CEO identifying the need for change at the academy, but I decided not to submit it, because I figured I would get screwed.

Anonimo,

Seriously dude, you should have done it. I don't know why people bring up this reg more often...

Sorry on the luck man, but what comes around goes around though ...you'll get your time

Latest resources

Back