Student Pilot Training question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cougar6903 said:
Does a student pilot need to have a 90 day solo end. to be PIC on the checkride (part 61)?

Not quite sure of the question. You are always assumed PIC on a checkride. The examiner is there to examine, not fly (unless for safety he has to take control of the airplane). PIC on a checkride has no relationship with the 90 solo endorsement.

Oh wait. End. means endorsement. Ok. Yes, normally the student will have a current 90 day solo endorsement because he has been solo very recently. Let me look at the regs to see if it's an actual requirement for the checkride (I assume we are talking about the Private certificate ride).

Last edited:
CJCCapt said:
Not quite sure of the question. You are always assumed PIC on a checkride. The examiner is there to examine, not fly (unless for safety he has to take control of the airplane). PIC on a checkride has no relationship with the 90 solo endorsement.

Oh wait. End. means endorsement. Ok. Yes, normally the student will have a current 90 day solo endorsement because he has been solo very recently. Let me look at the regs to see if it's an actual requirement for the checkride (I assume we are talking about the Private certificate ride).

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did mean endorsement. I figure since he is PIC on the checkride what is the point of a 90 day solo endoresment? He isn't solo! I was not able to find anything in the regs about a solo endorsement being required for the checkride but one of the CFI's at my school claims it is required.

cougar6903 said:
Thanks for the reply. Yes I did mean endorsement. I figure since he is PIC on the checkride what is the point of a 90 day solo endoresment? He isn't solo! I was not able to find anything in the regs about a solo endorsement being required for the checkride but one of the CFI's at my school claims it is required.

I don't see it in the regs either. However as a CFI I've always made sure that the 90-day solo endorsement was current for my active students to aviod any issues.

That said, 14 CFR part 61.87(n)(v) states the requirement for the 90 day endorsement - no mention of a checkride there. Part 61.39(a)(6), and 61.103(d) and (f) state the only three endorsements required for a private checkride - knowledge and flight training - no 90 day endorsement required there - and there is no mention in 61.109 for the endorsement, either actual or due to flight training, implied (ie, some requirement for a solo flight within 90 days of the checkride.)

A normal student progressing at a normal rate would have one, because they would most probably have flown solo within 90 days of a private checkride. Why don't you grab a FAA/AIM, corner the CFI, politely tell him you're "confused", and ask him to show you where in the regs it's required. Let me know what he says.

This is all covered also in AC 61-65D available on www.faa.gov.

Last edited:
CJCCapt said:
I don't see it in the regs either. However as a CFI I've always made sure that the 90-day solo endorsement was current for my active students to aviod any issues.

That said, 14 CFR part 61.87(n)(v) states the requirement for the 90 day endorsement - no mention of a checkride there. Part 61.39(a)(6), and 61.103(d) and (f) state the only three endorsements required for a private checkride - knowledge and flight training - no 90 day endorsement required there - and there is no mention in 61.109 for the endorsement, either actual or due to flight training, implied (ie, some requirement for a solo flight within 90 days of the checkride.)

A normal student progressing at a normal rate would have one, because they would most probably have flown solo within 90 days of a private checkride. Why don't you grab a FAA/AIM, corner the CFI, politely tell him you're "confused", and ask him to show you where in the regs it's required. Let me know what he says.

This is all covered also in AC 61-65D available on www.faa.gov.

Thanks for the input. I will give it a try.

Becareful. I've learned that a typical pilot's personality is not condusive to splitting hairs over the many many gray areas regarding the regs. Don't piss your boss off. I've heard that folks who called the FAA for answers were dissapointed with there overall knowledge regarding the regs. FAA has been known to feel like they have so much authority that they make up their mind with out really digging in to what they print. Cheif pilots/instructors will do this as well b/c they feel so omniscient/omnipotent.

Latest resources

Back