• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MJEPilot

Please help me with two questions:

1. Definition of Marginal VFR
2. What criteria must an airport meet to be considered as an alternate?

I have looked everywhere for the answers but can not find them, thanks.

MVFR is defined as ceilings of 1,000 to 3,000 feet or vis 3-5 miles.

On a given airport's approach plate, there is a section listing the required weather for choosing that airport as an alternate. I believe the weather has to be forcast to be at the published minimums, plus or minus one hour of your expected arrival time at that field.

<I have looked everywhere for the answers but can not find them, thanks>

In the US; 91.155 of the regs & 3-1-4 of the AIM talk about Basic VFR Weather Minimums.
7-1-6 of the AIM defines the Categorical Outlooks (LIFR, IFR, MVFR, VFR)
91.169c of the regs talks about Ifr alternate airport weather minima.
Hope that helps. :)

Alternates

Under Part 91:

To determine if you must file an alternate on an IFR flight plan look at the TAF (or area forcast if no TAF for that airport) for your destination. If the Wx at your destination +/- one hour of your ETA is less than 2000' ceilings and 3 miles visibility you must file an alternate. This is referred to as the "1-2-3 Rule"

To determine if an airport is available as an alternate, first look to see if it is even available to designate as an alternate. You can find this out by looking on the back side of the airport diagram page for Jepp plates, or Section E of the NOS approach book. You will also be able to see if there are any restrictions for certain approaches into that airport. For example: you may be able to use the ILS at xyz airport, but not the NDB for the same airport. Or, the airport is not available as an alternate altogether and cannot be filed as such. Generally, the airport has to have Wx forcasted for your ETA at your alternate of at least 600' ceilings and 2 miles visibility if there is an available precision approach, or 800' ceilings and 2 miles visibility if there is only a non-precision approaching available serving that airport. However, some airports have higher than standard alternate minimums. You can determine this by looking in the same area for Jepp and NOS I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helped a little!

00Dog said:
MVFR is defined as ceilings of 1,000 to 3,000 feet or vis 3-5 miles.

On a given airport's approach plate, there is a section listing the required weather for choosing that airport as an alternate. I believe the weather has to be forcast to be at the published minimums, plus or minus one hour of your expected arrival time at that field.

Just to clarify something. Weather at your alternate only has to be forecast to be above alternate minimums at your ETA (not plus or minus 1 hour). Another thing to keep in mind. You ALWAYS file an alternate unless the forecast is at least 2000 foot ceiling and 3 miles visibility. CYA!!

Good luck in training.

Its seems like people are answering several questions. Marginal VFR is different than than the marginal wx that is used when we need an alternate. 00Dog was correct on the marginal VFR definition but wrong on the instrument answer. Illini had a nice answer for the instrument question. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back