Student Pilot Equipment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cletislj04

I am starting my flying lessons soon, and I was wandering what equipment do I need to start and while i'm in training? Thanks

Pilot equipment

Assuming your trainer has an intercom, you want to purchase a good quality set of headsets, something like David Clark H10-30 or 40s. But before you whip out the plastic, do plenty of shopping. Don't buy headsets from a place like Sporty's because he charges full retail. You can find headsets at discounted prices from such places as Marv Golden's Aircraft Parts,http://www.marvgolden.com or Chief Aircraft Parts, http://www.chiefaircraft.com . I bought mine from Chief because they were a little cheaper than Marv Golden. This was 15 years ago, though. I suggest you spend the extra money to buy a name brand. It'll pay in the long run. Good headsets wear like iron.

But, before you do any kind of shopping, be sure you want to forge ahead with flight training. Otherwise, you may find yourself buying an expensive item that you will never use again.

Finally, it's easy to go hog wild on pilot accessories. Especially kneeboards. Take it slow and follow your instructor's suggestions.

Good luck with your training.

If you plan on flying awhile, you should bag the David Clarks and get a good headset like the Lightspeed ANR 15's or 20's. You won't regret it, they cost a little more but they blow away DC's. IMH(humble)O of'course.:D

Your instructor will either give you supplies from the school ( books, aircraft pilot operating handbook ) or actually take you to the FBO/pilot supply store to get materials.

Most good schools don't require you to buy a headset and will supply you with one while in initial training.

At the very beginning all your really need is the DESIRE and MOTIVATION to fly.

Bells, whistles and laying down serious money on headsets and flight bags comes when you know this is for you and you have several lessons under your belt.

Good luck and have fun!

School stuff

I aggree with bobbysamd concerning the DC headset. However, as a Loadmaster that's pretty much what I'm used to. Which ever you feel comfortable with. As for price, like everything else:
1. If it's related to aviation,$$$$$$$!!
2. You get what you pay for.
It all comes down to personal taste and comfort zone. But, be sure this is what you're wanting to do. This is what I have in my bag:
Brown leather catalog case. (airline style)
Mini E-6B flight computer
DC headset H10-30
Jepp trifold knee board
Mini mag
Plotter
Clip on light w/ changeable lens(for night and as a spare)
Extra batteries
Masking tape (to cover a failed instrument)
Sunglasses
Calculator
Pilots pocket handbook
Extras: rolaids,gum,crackers,bottled water,leather flying gloves,pens,pencils,notepad.
Hope this helps and good luck in ur training!
Dave

Well for me, my flight bag only had a few things in it (and for the most part still only has about that much) I would get a small flight bag:
Buy a Cencal Logbook cover it that keep:
Your logbook, Sectionals, checklists, medical and certificates.
Get a fuel testers, the ASA plastic one would work.

I also kept a copy of the PTS (I still keep a copy around the house) and an AFD.

Now for a headset, I use Avcomm, they have the quality of a DC, but at a much cheapers prices (even there bare basic is pretty good). I personally use the Avcomm PNR-900.

Otherthan the kit that they give you, thats about it, one more book that I would get is the Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook. It will help you understand alot of the topics that you are required to know for the written and practical tests.

Anything else just go with you IPs recommendations.

rjdreamer,

Masking tape to cover up a failed instrument?

Do student private pilots practice partial panel these days? Or is your CFI a masocist? Just curious............

Sounds like alot to absorb for an initial rating.
:eek: :eek:

school stuff

Some days I feel like I need a forklift. That's not half as much as I'm required to take with me when I fly as a Loadmaster in the Air Guard!! Now That requires a forklift.!!Wew. The tape isn't really used to practice partial panel, but in case of an actual failure. Forgot where I read that not too long ago. Private Pilot or maybe AOPA Flt Training mags. Everyone that had an actual failure said they wish that they could have covered the failed instrument to prevent them from using it and prevent brain readjustment during an actual. Food for thought. Fly and have fun!!
Dave

Instrument "failures"

What ever happened to those suction-cup devices and those thin plastic devices that look like Dixie Cup lids for covering instruments? I'd use those instead of masking tape.

Once again, follow your instructor's suggestions. I agree with the above about such things as a flashlight (or two), plotter, E6-B and a SIMPLE battery/solar powered calculator for arithmetic. Unless you are a student, I'd keep my logbook in a safe place at home.

Unless kneeboard designs have improved in the last several years, I'd be careful what I buy because they end up being so much junk. I tried to balance the boards on my lap and I felt uncomfortable. Then, I never felt that I had enough surface area when I tried the military-style battery-powered strap-on board. My instructor had told me just to fold out the sectional and place it on my lap. He was right all along.

Latest resources

Back