Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
As much as I hate crash reports, this one is so unusual it's almost funny.

FARMINGTON, N.M. - A student pilot practicing takeoffs and landings in a small plane crashed through the roof of a police station, forcing the evacuation of 10 inmates.

The pilot, a student with Mesa Airlines' pilot development program, suffered head and facial injuries but was conscious when he was taken to a hospital Thursday night, said Fire Marshal Herb Veazey. No one inside the building was injured.

The pilot appeared to be preparing to land on a runway about 400 yards from the Farmington Police Department, Police Lt. Doug Kennedy said.

"I was pulling into the parking lot when I saw the plane veer straight up and come into the north end of the building," Sgt. Darin Hardy said.

The plane crashed into an area of the station that houses detectives. Two detectives were able to leave the building without injury. Ten adult inmates in nearby holding cells were transferred to a county jail.

The crash happened around 7:15 p.m., according to the Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites). The single-engine Beechcraft Bonanza apparently lost power before the crash
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=4&u=/ap/20040123/ap_on_fe_st/jail_plane

Katie Couric thought it was humorous

On NBC's "Today Show," the "perky" one made a joke about the pilot crashing into an appropriate place, since "he will probably end up spending some time there anyway."

A while back, she reported on a fatal plane crash and stated "thank god it was only a cargo plane.":eek:

Professional news organization, no doubt.

Re: Katie Couric thought it was humorous

sqwkvfr said:
On NBC's "Today Show," the "perky" one made a joke about the pilot crashing into an appropriate place, since "he will probably end up spending some time there anyway."

A while back, she reported on a fatal plane crash and stated "thank god it was only a cargo plane.":eek:

Professional news organization, no doubt.

Yes they are. Like on CNN where they have that private pilot reporting on aviation news, often getting it wrong. Ie C182 that carries 3,000 lbs of fuel.

Hey, look at the bright side...

he will be in the right seat of an RJ in 3 months. Before I left Mesa, I flew into LGA @ rush hour, in the snow, with a San Juaner w/310 TOTAL TIME, got yelled at 3 times before getting to the gate...6 legs in and out of LGA/DCA/PHL/EWR.....ahhh, the good old days....

Last edited:
"thank god it was only a cargo plane."
I heard a bus load of media pukes drove off a cliff in an accident not too long ago and there was empty seat. What a shame.

Re: Hey, look at the bright side...

ChinaClipper said:
, got yelled at 3 times before getting to the gate...

Yelled at by the punk kid or by ATC?

Latest resources

Back