• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lazy8

Registered Parrot Head
Hey folks,

I've recenlty got a 'hand-me-down' student that has been training for his Private ticket since early 2003. He's in his 50's, has over 100 hours, and still hasn't soloed. He's an etremely nervous individual when it comes to flying; however, he really loves aviation. Just a couple examples...

If the tower gives amended taxi instructions on the way to the runway he'll slam on the brakes (just anywhere on a taxiway even with traffic following us) and with his finger hoovering over the transmit button for a very long time. Eventually the tower starts getting pissed (especially that time he stopped in a runway) and I take over.

During stalls (power on or off) as soon as he hears the stall horn he starts getting really jumpy. When the buffet occurs he freezes up, grabs my leg very tightly and occasionally lets out a small yelp. Not even kidding.

He's a pretty short guy and he can't really put in full deflection on the left or right rudder without ALOT of effort. It's a C172. I thought about a seat booster, but I don't see how that's going to make his legs reach the pedals any better.

Takeoffs and landings are acutally not too bad on a calm day; however, throw in the slightest crosswind or turbulance and it's a pretty shakey approach and a very wild landing. I've been working with him on this for about two months with no improvement. No matter how much we discuss it on the ground, how much we practice in the air, or how many times i show him I can't break his death grip and overcorrecting wing wagging all the way down to the runway.

His ground is SOLID. Knows his stuff very well.

I'm just more than a little concerned due to the fact of his hours and how long he's been doing this. Also, I don't know how to get him more comfortable in the airplane. I feel like he can do it, but he just needs to break his fears and feel like he's in control of the airplane. He flys twice a week. Super nice guy. Loves flying. Love airplanes. Reads everything he can get his hands on about it. Goes to seminars and safety meetings all the time.

Someone advised me to continue working with him for as long as he's willing to do it; however, it's very frustrating as an instructor to never see improvement in a student. I'm not giving up on him, but I do need an opinion or two from some of the more seasoned instructors here.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
g

I've seen a couple 200 hr private pilots who just took that long to get it right. I don't have the patience to train anyone that long but it is worth a try. Do your best to experiment with instruction methods. Maybe you can send him up with another instructor a couple times to see if someone else can get through to him.

Go and get a seat cushion that has a back cushion as well, being unable to reach the controls or see outside properly should have been fixed 98 hours ago.

febtober said:
Go and get a seat cushion that has a back cushion as well, being unable to reach the controls or see outside properly should have been fixed 98 hours ago.

Tried a seat cushion with the back cushion today. Helped a little bit; however, he says he's not sure if he wants to continue to use it. I think maybe his ego was damaged a bit. I don't know... Frustrating as h*ll...

g

Hey, seriously. If it was easy everyone could do it. I am not saying that this is the situation here, but...in a way, the system is designed to weed out those that pose a danger to either themselves or the public. Remember, it may be your ticket on the line too. I am not sure I'd want that hanging over my head. Either way, good luck.

100 hours? Does the guy at least realise that he is taking too long, or does he not care? If he hasn't gotten it in 3 years what makes you sure that he will get it now? Just let the guy know that if he doesn't get it right you will not allow him to fly anymore and he will have to go elsewhere or just quit. No body would want that kind of person in the skies.

CX880 said:
100 hours? Does the guy at least realise that he is taking too long, or does he not care? If he hasn't gotten it in 3 years what makes you sure that he will get it now? Just let the guy know that if he doesn't get it right you will not allow him to fly anymore and he will have to go elsewhere or just quit. No body would want that kind of person in the skies.

100 hours over a three year period isn't very much flying. I know a few guys that took over 100 hours to get their certificate. Flying off and on, going through different instructors, personal life issues, etc... These things prolong the process. Not everyone is a ERAU/ATP/(Insert Pilot Factory Name Here) career bound student flying five days a week.

I agree that the system is designed in a way to help weed out certain people and I know flying isn't for everyone. I just want to make sure I'm doing the most for this student that I possibly can do. I want to make sure he's getting the most bang for his buck.

On our first lesson he asked me if I thought we could "do this". I told him I'd do everything I could to see him through. If I don't see any progress soon, then I will have a heart to heart with him. The thing is I don't need you guys to tell me to stop the training. I realize things don't look and sound so good for him, but he's willing to try, he studies hard, and he understands that he is taking more time than most people. I'm simply asking for some constructive advice on how to help him before I hit the brakes on his flight training.

Thanks
g

Last edited:
Maybe try to demonstrate everything again? When I've had problems understanding something, it has always helped to see it done by my instructor. I didnt believe ground effect was such a big deal until I sat back and watched my instructor float down half the runway with no throttle.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back