Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Strangest job you worked to pay for your flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I worked two years excising corneas from cadavers to finance my private certificate. On call 24/7 for most of the time...normal page time was usually early in the AM (midnight-3am). Procedures lasted anywhere from 2-5 hours depending on the hospital and whatnot. Money was very good for a college student ($2/hr for each hour on call and ~$100/procedure + .34/mile)....however I rarely got to go out and get drink with my buddies.

Man, the things we do to fly....

Painted lines on roads for two years. I could make lots more $ doing that than just about any flying job. Dangerous though, had to watch out for road raging drivers ticked off about you slowing them down.

dabandermac said:
I worked two years excising corneas from cadavers to finance my private certificate. On call 24/7 for most of the time...normal page time was usually early in the AM (midnight-3am). Procedures lasted anywhere from 2-5 hours depending on the hospital and whatnot. Money was very good for a college student ($2/hr for each hour on call and ~$100/procedure + .34/mile)....however I rarely got to go out and get drink with my buddies.

Man, the things we do to fly....

How exactly does someone come into a job like this? Just curious.

I worked in a cannery one summer (made more per hour than 1st year FO's do now....and this was in 1983!!). Jobs included watching conveyor belts of peach halves rip by and pitting the ones that had pits in them.

I got a raise when I was transfered to the "fruit cocktail" division and watched conveyer belts of grapes roar by (really fast, got sick the first day from motion sickness!). I had the job of pulling the ones with their skins on still off the belt! Gawd that was an awful job...

That was fantastic money. I made over $12,000 for 3 months of work (i 1983).

it was a union job...the dues were outlandish and as I was leaving, they were fixin' to go on strike!

I worked in a rubber stamp factory, was an armed and unarmed gaurd, a candy factory, packed parachutes, and made pizzas. I also scrubbed airplanes at night, turned wrenches on them, tossed ice in an aerial fog abatement program, stocked shelves in a college bookstore, drove a delivery truck, worked in an experimental greenhouse, and mowed lawns in a cemetary.

Usually two or three jobs at a time. I also drove a tractor and drilled rape seed (not what you might think, and certainly not as fun), too. On the side, I took care of chickens and goats, rabbits, baled hay, and mucked stalls in two stables.

I was a cadaver in a medical school....no, wait a minute...that's my NEXT job...sorry.

That sounds good. How does one apply? And how is the quality of death? Benifits? Downgrade potential?

Cutting edge, I bet. Separation pay? Fun for the whole family, from the inside, out.

Latest resources

Back