• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Strange Request of the Day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Brasilia hydraulics are not what you need to worry about. It is the electrical system and the prop hub that will give you nightmares. I'm still seeing a shrink about issues from those two systems. :nuts:

I love flying with passive agressive pilots...

Sorry, must have come across wrong. Didn't mean that. It's just that those systems are simple. One of the mistakes pilots make is over complicating things. Doesn't do much to help with safety. I could explain both those systems in an hour.

Sorry, must have come across wrong. Didn't mean that. It's just that those systems are simple. One of the mistakes pilots make is over complicating things. Doesn't do much to help with safety. I could explain both those systems in an hour.

If they were so simple it shouldn't take an hour to explain them. Just sayin'.

Well then, I wish you had taught my Brasilia systems class. Two different airlines, both on the Brasilia, and it was still a major PITA when they taught those subjects. I wondered if I received an honorary A&P stamp on my certificate after we got done. Both airlines took the philosophy of "Build the aircraft from the ground up."

When I flew the ATR-72, (same prop hub as the Brasilia), they covered it in 45 minutes. "You have two levers here, two levers there, and these two switches overhead. <--- ATR systems philosophy.

Well then, I wish you had taught my Brasilia systems class. Two different airlines, both on the Brasilia, and it was still a major PITA when they taught those subjects. I wondered if I received an honorary A&P stamp on my certificate after we got done. Both airlines took the philosophy of "Build the aircraft from the ground up."

When I flew the ATR-72, (same prop hub as the Brasilia), they covered it in 45 minutes. "You have two levers here, two levers there, and these two switches overhead. <--- ATR systems philosophy.

Pilots only need to know some of the stuff that mechanics know and mechanics only need to know some of the stuff that pilots know.

The fact that your airline made you "build it from the ground up" only served to waste those airlines money, make some instructor feel good about himself and did little to make you a safer pilot.

Pilots need to know the basic behavior of the various aircraft systems in the normal, abnormal and emergency situations. In other words, they need to identify, in every flight regime, whether or not their aircraft is working properly and then know what to do about it.

Pilots only need to know some of the stuff that mechanics know and mechanics only need to know some of the stuff that pilots know.

The fact that your airline made you "build it from the ground up" only served to waste those airlines money, make some instructor feel good about himself and did little to make you a safer pilot.

Pilots need to know the basic behavior of the various aircraft systems in the normal, abnormal and emergency situations. In other words, they need to identify, in every flight regime, whether or not their aircraft is working properly and then know what to do about it.

With the EMB-120 I would argue that you do need to know how the prop hub works (it's killed people) and how the engine controls work (they do bizarre things that can put you in a dangerous state of confusion if you don't know why they are doing them).

It's a PITA to learn the first time, but shouldn't be too hard after that...

Latest resources

Back