• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Strange question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Technically possible but no controller in their right mind would even let you into the airspace at high traffic time. I've done them at Hartsfield in the middle of the night when I used to teach. Controllers where bored I guess.

Clear-&aMillion said:
Not that you would, but is it techniaclly possible to perform touch and goes in a 172 in a busy class-B enviornment???

not recommended, but yes i suppose you could during down time

YOU can do whatever you want. If they say no, do it anyways. I mean, what are they going to do? Shoot you down? I don’t think so…..

But really, just ask them. You never know, they just might say yes.

Sure, if the controller agrees. I've done them in Houston during the night when nothing was going on.

Depends on the tower and how the traffic patterns work out. Most primary class b airports have restrictions on training flights during peak hours (something like 7am-9pm). Those that don't generally have restrictions on training to full stop landings only.

That said, you have the right to fly into (and land) at any airport in the country, as long as you can play by the "local rules". My general rule is that if you want to go play with the airlines, by all means have at it. However it means that you should be able to speak proficiently on the radio (at least to minimum IFR standards...), handle your aircraft in a manner that suits the environment (such as flying higher speeds on final so as not to become a smear on the nose of the 747 behind you...), and be willing to put up with the headaches that come with flying a light GA plane into a busy airport (it might take up to an hour to get the sequencing right).

You generally won't be able to get "touch and goes" at the primary airport during the day, but there are definately those slim opportunities... Certainly you have better chances at night, but it is possible...

I have flown light aircraft into several large airports (PA28 and PA44 in MSP and IAD, C152/172 into DCA, PA28R into ATL). No biggie. I have even been invited by DCA tower to do a touch and go in the middle of the afternoon (pre 9/11 of course).

When i was working for a company selling airplanes I once did 8 touch and goes at MCO (orlando) around 6pm. 18R of course. You might as well ask. The worst they say is no.

Yes, any time!! Just ask! Couple things though. 1. Keep your speed up. 120kts til the threshold, bleed speed off, and go! (Most are at least 8,000') You will fit right in (with the flow) 2. Tell ATC you can keep the speed up, and they will work with you. Do not! I REPEAT!! DO NOT!! Approach at normal speeds(C-172) they will re-vector you!

Latest resources

Back