Strange question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flyerjosh said:
That said, you have the right to fly into (and land) at any airport in the country, as long as you can play by the "local rules".

That said, any airport other than Washinton National,,,ahh, I mean Ronald Reagan. You ain't a good enough American for that.

Hung

I have done them at CLT in a C-172 off of an ILS Approach. Back in the 90's CLT was a dead airport between USA pushes. Pick your time, talk to the tower and ask.

Back in 1990 I was flying from a flight school at PHX. They had no problem with me doing touch and goes in a C152. But I sure did spend quite a lot of time doing 360s on downwind waiting for the spacing. The tower would never extend your downwind, because they were too afraid of getting you too far out and having to come back on a "slow" 5-mile final. I think it was about 4 360s per landing. And usually it was a slam dunk base after completing a turn.

When I was doing my student pilot training in Phoenix, I was out flying with my instructor at 2am one morning, and when we called up Approach to transition the Class B airspace for another airport, they asked us if we wanted to do touch n go's at Sky Harbor instead. I think they just felt sorry for us that we were up flying that late.

Of course we had to get out of the way after about an hour when all the heavy metal Fed Ex's started arriving.

Some class B airports have landing fees for all aircraft including our little GA aircraft.

I've done lots of stuff at Class B airports...no biggie. Just be professional (esp on the radio) and usually you can get what ya want. The controllers just don't want some rookie fu*kstick flying a 55 knot final from 10 out.

That being said, it's completely opposite at CLE where they slow down the heavy stuff to 170 30nm out...55 on final isn't a biggie (kidding of course).

My biggest bravo surprise was going in to CVG. VERY GA friendly...no landing fee and I got right in...controllers were absolutely fantastic.

-mini

minitour said:
My biggest bravo surprise was going in to CVG. VERY GA friendly...no landing fee and I got right in...controllers were absolutely fantastic.
Mini...
I heard about that. They wanted you one the ground as soon as possible so that they could cancel the NOTAM that was issued when you took off. :D

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
Mini...
I heard about that. They wanted you one the ground as soon as possible so that they could cancel the NOTAM that was issued when you took off. :D

'Sled

hahahahabastagehahahaha

-mini :D

I have done a low pass down 9L at DTW when they were using 3/21 set of runways and had the tower hold traffic for me while I made the pass. Of course I was flying a B-17 and the tower requested the fly by.

OK, I love general aviation, and plan on getting into it once more, but do us a favor and find a more suitable field. The controllers don't always hold/vector you, we get the same treatment quite often. Extended vectors burn hundreds of gallons of jet fuel. Even worse is a go-around due to GA; 400-800 gallons burned for a single, simple box pattern.

There's nothing quite like waiting in sequence for departure. While your C-172 holds up the line, every transport there, engines running, is wasting 200 to 800 gallons per hour. Picture the fuel line of a 737 or MD-80 at idle being a garden hose turned on full blast. Double that. That's idle fuel flow. I'm sorry I know this sounds like we're being jerks, but our financial future and careers are balanced on a knife edge. Every little bit helps! We play the FMC fuel-saving game for 3 hours in cruise and manage to save 50 gallons by creating a good profile, only to waste 10X that amount due to a GA issue at the arrival.

Latest resources

Back