Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Padre

Just a question.

Now that stop loss is over for most of us (except for those in 11S field), how many brave souls are going to get out? How many are just going to stick with it now that there are very few jobs out there? Personally, I am thankful to have a job, and I am not going anywhere without a training date or a bonafied offer.

Just asking to get an idea what eveyone's feeling are.

Padre

I think all, or at least a vast majority, who wanted to separate/retire before stop loss was instituted have not changed their minds. Jobs were few back in September 2001 when it went into effect. If anything, jobs are more plentiful now, nearly a year later. Check out all the SWA stop loss pepes on the pool list or all who were patiently waiting a jetBlue, FedEX, or regional or fractional class. I, for one, was planning on separating over a year ago, prior to stop loss, and am still getting out at the earliest DOS (October). In my opinion, the job market hasn't changed any minds that I know of who were leaning toward that side already.

One thing to think about is that many of the activated reservists when deactivated will be moving on.....So, if your looking for a Guard/Reserve slot, it might be easier...Not to mention, you could probably make a decent living as a bum until you land your airline job.....just a thought....

Getting out ASAPly

As am I. Planning on "Guard bumming" until gaining airline employment.

Unchanged

Hi

Still retiring as soon as I get a class date - - same as last year. Fly safe.

:cool:

Going, going, gone.....

Waiting for a job offer while I bum in the guard.

Ba-Bye,

BN

I, for one, am leaving. That's been my plan all along. All but a few dudes/dudettes in my squadron are all bolting too; some have airline jobs, some have guard/reserve jobs, and some have both. The few who are sticking around really like the military flying and the lifestyle; more power to them. I think either way, you have to ask yourself what your priorities are. For me, it was my family and quality of life. I feel very fortunate and thank God everyday that I have a job lined up. If you and your family can put up with the military, I think the military could be a decent ride. That's my .025!

Retiring now effective 1 Jan 03. Prior to stop-loss I could have retired 1 Jul 02. I'll stay a few more months and take advantage of the extra $128 per month I'll get in my retirement check. Terminal leave starts 1 Oct 02. It's been a great ride but all good rides must end sometime.

Latest resources

Back