• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stop extending Nja brothers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know why this statement irritates me so much because I was one of the lucky ones that found gainful employment post-furlough. I guess it's because you've demonstrated that you really have no idea how bad it was in 2010.

As one of the furloughed guys - it's easy for me to see how someone could be out of aviation after 4 years. It goes something like this:

You get furloughed in the middle of the worst economic conditions in 70 years. There are VERY few aviation jobs out there - I had been flying Boeings prior to NetJets and couldn't even get a look from regionals. Getting a job in a bizjet was even tougher.

Virtually EVERY full-time job required you to be typed AND current. If you weren't, you started with two-strikes. All too often NetJets on my resume was strike 3. I know of at least twice that my resume was round-filed just because of NetJets.

I thought for sure getting hired at NJA under such competitive conditions would make me stand out - unfortunately it did, but in a bad way.

I was fortunate enough to find a full-time job outside of aviation that was flexible enough to allow me to do contract work in some Citations and a Falcon 900. At the end of 2010 I managed to turn a contract gig into an SIC rating on a XL, which somehow turned into a full-time PIC position flying for a great family.

Without the contract flying I could have easily gone past the one year mark without flying and found myself in no-man's land like so many of our brothers and sisters.

After a year, besides not being current in a specific type, you're not current in anything. Do you have any idea how many positions REQUIRE 200hrs in the preceding 12 mos. I'm guessing - based on your demonstrated cluelessness - that you don't, so I'll tell you. It's most jobs.

That's right - most jobs require a couple hundred hours in the preceding year. If you haven't been flying for over a year, you're now virtually unemployable.

And that's how you end up out of aviation - despite all of these phantom companies "screaming for pilots". I'm still interested in hearing about them when you get a chance...

If you could include in your response which fleet you're on I would appreciate that as well. That way I can avoid it at all costs - lest we end up stuck together someday.

Excellent post!

+1

Well said.

Look forward to sharing a beer. If not recall Indoc, on the road. :beer:

I don't know why this statement irritates me so much because I was one of the lucky ones that found gainful employment post-furlough. I guess it's because you've demonstrated that you really have no idea how bad it was in 2010.

As one of the furloughed guys - it's easy for me to see how someone could be out of aviation after 4 years. It goes something like this:

You get furloughed in the middle of the worst economic conditions in 70 years. There are VERY few aviation jobs out there - I had been flying Boeings prior to NetJets and couldn't even get a look from regionals. Getting a job in a bizjet was even tougher.

Virtually EVERY full-time job required you to be typed AND current. If you weren't, you started with two-strikes. All too often NetJets on my resume was strike 3. I know of at least twice that my resume was round-filed just because of NetJets.

I thought for sure getting hired at NJA under such competitive conditions would make me stand out - unfortunately it did, but in a bad way.

I was fortunate enough to find a full-time job outside of aviation that was flexible enough to allow me to do contract work in some Citations and a Falcon 900. At the end of 2010 I managed to turn a contract gig into an SIC rating on a XL, which somehow turned into a full-time PIC position flying for a great family.

Without the contract flying I could have easily gone past the one year mark without flying and found myself in no-man's land like so many of our brothers and sisters.

After a year, besides not being current in a specific type, you're not current in anything. Do you have any idea how many positions REQUIRE 200hrs in the preceding 12 mos. I'm guessing - based on your demonstrated cluelessness - that you don't, so I'll tell you. It's most jobs.

That's right - most jobs require a couple hundred hours in the preceding year. If you haven't been flying for over a year, you're now virtually unemployable.

And that's how you end up out of aviation - despite all of these phantom companies "screaming for pilots". I'm still interested in hearing about them when you get a chance...

If you could include in your response which fleet you're on I would appreciate that as well. That way I can avoid it at all costs - lest we end up stuck together someday.

Borg,

You've already demonstrated that you found a way to gain full-time employment, stay current and develop a relationship with a different employer-even though the economy sucks!

Yet I'm clueless?

Already you've set yourself apart from somebody telling me that my teeth will get rearranged trying to put my kids through school.

You don't see a difference?

Yes, I worked at a major and no I didn't pay for a job!

Borg,

You've already demonstrated that you found a way to gain full-time employment, stay current and develop a relationship with a different employer-even though the economy sucks!

Yet I'm clueless?

Already you've set yourself apart from somebody telling me that my teeth will get rearranged trying to put my kids through school.

You don't see a difference?

Yes, I worked at a major and no I didn't pay for a job!

Yes - you are clueless. Or you CHOOSE to IGNORE the realities that we faced in 2010.

I was extraordinarily lucky to find an employer at a full-time job (outside of aviation!!!) that was understanding enough to allow me to leave for days and weeks at a time to fly contract trips. I still work there on the side by the way - and always will.

I had to take the job outside of aviation because, despite sending out hundreds of resumes, I couldn't get even a regional to look at me. I had thousands of hours, including the coveted 1,000TPIC, a master's degree in a related field, and had demonstrated my ability to compete for a job at NJA and I couldn't even get called for an interview. From anyone.

How many non-aviation jobs do you suppose offer the type of flexibility that mine did?

Is it the other furloughees fault that they weren't as LUCKY to have a similar situation?

Do you have any idea how many furloughees are working at non-aviation jobs still today? Because they have to?!

For the life of me, I have no idea why the union cut us off from the main board. When I was furloughed from an ALPA carrier I had access until the airline ceased to exist. At this point the furloughees access to the main njasap board is more or less a moot point, but I think it would have been good for the active pilots to have read-only access to the furloughed side of the board.

Maybe then people like you could understand a little bit of what we were facing. But who am I kidding - based on your posts on this website it's easy to see you couldn't care less.

The only unity I've seen out of njasap is on the furloughed board (including the two union guys that still post there). Maybe (some of) the active pilots could have learned something over there...

Hawkered just won't get it. The union chose to prevent the furloughees from communicating with active pilots, putting them out of sight and out of mind. The active pilots have no idea the stories of hardship that have affected many of the furloughed.

Hawkered just won't get it. The union chose to prevent the furloughees from communicating with active pilots, putting them out of sight and out of mind. The active pilots have no idea the stories of hardship that have affected many of the furloughed.

Many of us have experienced hardships before life at Netjets. How much communication do you think I got from RAPA in 1991? Zero, NADA, zilch. It sucks no matter where you are furloughed from for whatever length of time. I have a couple of those shirts, long and short sleeve.

Just what could the union or any one active pilot have done to speed up recalls? While many of us disagree with the message board decision, it did nothing to change the economic reality or the decisions by management.

Instead of being hell bent on getting even with the union (not you personally), or those that extended (very few), or those on the 18 day (almost half the pilots), or....., place your focus where it belongs. On an EMT that lied on a regular basis regarding supplemental lift. An EMT that compares us to FedEx and UPS yet want concessions, in spite of record profits. Not one pilot, active or otherwise, gets pleasure in furloughs. Management, however, loves to see pilot against pilot, and the winner does not include either pilot group unless we unite.

Just remember whatever you vote on, whether it's good for junior or senior, you'll experience both-eventually. Your eyes were placed in front of your face to look forward, not backward.

The lack of communication from the union is why you get the ignorant comments from those like Hawkered. Unity my ass.

Latest resources

Back