• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stop extending Nja brothers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My guess is either flights are being improperly coded or they ask if someone could extend when there was no way to get them home and they "voluntarily" agreed.

Ahhh, no.

When airlining home from an international departure point, we CAN'T refuse to go over 14, per CBA.

If the crewmember is still on NJI pay protocol, they get no hourly overtime during the ride home. But if that travel day exceeds 18 hours, they get a day rate of overtime and it is coded as an extended day, not a Q day. That is the proper coding and there wasn't any "voluntary agreement" to extend.

I had two of these last year. They were my only extended days because homey don't extend voluntarily. And yet, some might see my pay stub and infer that I was screwing over a furloughed guy when I actually didn't.

If the return home ALSO goes after midnight, they get 1 Q day, one extended day goes into their "true up" bank, and they get time recovery.

Right. That's one of my guesses... You can't refuse so you "voluntarily" accept. The quotes meaning you are forced to volunteer. In this case my opinion has been swayed I am agreeing with you even though that's against this message board protocol.

Last edited:
Ahhh, no.

When airlining home from an international departure point, we CAN'T refuse to go over 14, per CBA.

If the crewmember is still on NJI pay protocol, they get no hourly overtime during the ride home. But if that travel day exceeds 18 hours, they get a day rate of overtime and it is coded as an extended day, not a Q day. That is the proper coding and there wasn't any "voluntary agreement" to extend.

I had two of these last year. They were my only extended days because homey don't extend voluntarily. And yet, some might see my pay stub and infer that I was screwing over a furloughed guy when I actually didn't.

If the return home ALSO goes after midnight, they get 1 Q day, one extended day goes into their "true up" bank, and they get time recovery.

The funny thing is; more often than not, it's not necessary to do a "witch hunt" to find the voluntary extenders-- because they'll tell you. And they don't necessarily tell you out of spite?it's because their personality traits are so inherently selfish that they don't actually get why it's wrong. This is why it's a pity that legally unions can't put word out to members in times like this that picking up OT or extending (or bidding 18 day) is nolo simpatico with their "brothers" still out on the street trying like h#ll to keep food on the table. Inherently greedy and selfish fvcks like that ACTUALLY NEED TO BE TOLD..and even then many would still do it.

My last month or so before furlough, I flew with a few 'seasoned' pilots (both had to be >= 65) who literally bragged to me about the new 2nd boat or whatever toy that they're working at NJA to support and that they're still working because they'd be "bored". One was a "check airman" who was to date one of the scariest pilots I've flown with..had to tell him to go around one day because he d-cked up a visual so bad (and yes- with owners aboard). For both guys-- I literally had to explain that I don't really appreciate the bragging about working out of boredom to pay for superfluous toys. That I'm legitimately concerned about how I will keep my family fed. In both cases, from the looks on their faces-- you could tell that the concept had never occurred to them. BTW-- the check airman actually decided during that very tour to take the early retirement..perhaps because I helped him see the 'light' (and perhaps because he realized he shouldn't be flying airplanes any more).

Anyway, gut-- perhaps you and your more thoughtful brethren on-line can do us all a favor when you overhear selfish pr*cks like this in the FBO..just interject and remind them that there are furloughed guys still out there. These guys actually need to hear it.

Right. That's one of my guesses... You can't refuse so you "voluntarily" accept. The quotes meaning you are forced to volunteer. In this case my opinion has been swayed I am agreeing with you even though that's against this message board protocol.

Gotcha. Missed the " " intent.

@Buck

It's tough to hear folks extending voluntarily. But kharma has a way of coming out.

For example, a few months back, skeds asked me and the two other pilots I was with (international augmented crew) if two of us would extend "just to do one leg back to the US and then we'll airline you home the next day." Ah, NO. One of the other guys also said no, the third said yes.

They had another guy relatively close by in Europe and flew him in the join the yes guy.

So, next day, me and the other NO guy airline home riding BizClass, go over 18 and get paid an extra day anyway. The yes guy flies the leg back, then gets tagged with an extra leg, then has a 13 hour total goat rope travel day the next day and gets the exact same amount of pay I did. He has told me he learned his lesson. NO EXTENDING.

Sometimes, you can't tell anybody. They have to find out for themselves...

Sure except his reason is now based on convenience. It was never a question of professional unity. But hey, as long as he gets his new lanyard, that meets the union's definition of solidarity.

Sure except his reason is now based on convenience. It was never a question of professional unity. But hey, as long as he gets his new lanyard, that meets the union's definition of solidarity.

I hear ya. Professional unity has been a difficult thing to cultivate at NJ because of all the past divisions, jealousies, and resentments.

And yet, we were starting to see that unity grow and expand to all the fleets with a pilot created, grass-roots movement.

Until this EBoard shot it all to hell.

when a recall starts in the next few months and some of us come back there will be another grass roots movement.....

A NEW Eboard with some 495ers and other new faces at the front of the ship.

Gotta say; I agree..greedy, selfish motherf*ckers. Plain and simple. The union shouldn't have to tell you to not extend or bid 18-day schedules while furloughs are out (even though I know the union wouldn't anyway because they appear to have decided to disown us long ago & generally have no balls).

If any of you greedy d*uchebag extenders ever fly with a recalled furlough, I highly suggest you don't exactly brag about your greediness. You'll have a mouthful of rearranged teeth in a hurry I'd presume.

You Sir, would end up in prison! Please be advised that such threats, even those made under a pseudonym name on a message board are not taken lightly.

Nobody owes you anything!

Regardless of what this thread title implies, I think it was established several posts ago that nobody is extending.

Everyone is too burned-out.

You Sir, would end up in prison! Please be advised that such threats, even those made under a pseudonym name on a message board are not taken lightly.

Nobody owes you anything!

Once again (someone else took this as a personal threat somehow as well), I have to ask you to re-read what I wrote. I am speculating upon the actions of others. Attention to grammatical detail isn't your strong suit. I will probably never be returning to NJA, partly because I was one of most junior furloughs and I doubt they'd ever get down to my #.

Btw; if you want to test my hypothesis, why don't you start bragging about all the jet skis you bought with the $ from all your extensions to the first recalled pilot you're paired with.

Latest resources

Back