Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stolen passport while out of the country.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Fly, this was last week, I did just fly home, met the Customs agent, explained the situation, showed him my birth certificate, and the photocopy of my passport, guy was very cool, gave me his cell number, and said next time just give him a heads up.

Thanks Fly, this was last week, I did just fly home, met the Customs agent, explained the situation, showed him my birth certificate, and the photocopy of my passport, guy was very cool, gave me his cell number, and said next time just give him a heads up.

Cool. Yea, alot of stock is put into our passports, they're not that important for an American citizen when returning to the USA. That's not the purpose of a passport, its for foreign countries that we travel to. The customs guy at FLL said no problem at all. He put in our pilots name and his entire life popped up, he asked him his address which was on his DL and he asked him when the last time it was that he came through USA customs. He said, "oh, about 5 days ago into KFXE." Customs guy said, "thanks, have a good night ya'll." We didn't give them a heads either...but will definitely do it next time if we can.

All USA citizens need for re-entry is a DL. But you know how different customs guys can be, sometimes they like to make up their own laws and be complete jackazzes.

Where did you clear back into the USA?

Sorry, but I don't understand why you all are worrying about assorted weird places to 'hide' your passport in your room - that's a bad plan. People that want to steal passports are well aware of all the 'secret' hiding places and then some.

Most hotels have a safe that belongs to the hotel and can be accessed at the registration desk (unless you're staying at Motel 6). By the way, that includes the Trinidad Hilton. That is where all of your valuables should be stored - in the hotel safe, whether you're in the US or a foreign country.

Whether in the US or abroad, your passport should never be carried on your person or left in your hotel room (that includes a 'safe' in your room). Carry a photo copy of the ID page and the relevant visa or entry stamp (that last one is not too important) when out and about. Most hotels have a xerox or equivalent copier at the front desk that they will let you use (in private) if you ask them - but it is better to make your copies before you leave the US.

Put your valuables in a container that is not see-through and have them stored in the hotel safe. They will give you a receipt. Nothing is 100% but that's the most secure way to go.

This should be done by everyone traveling abroad, not just pilots.

Keep a record of your passport # and date and place of issue in a separate location - better if you memorize those items. If you still manage to lose it or have it stolen, report it to the closest US Embassy or Council office asap. If you're a US citizen getting a duplicate will not be difficult. You can bet you're in the electronic data base by now and any port of entry will be able to easily pull up your records - especially if you know the number. If your name is Smith it will be a little harder.

If you have blonde hair, blue eyes and don't speak with a foreign accent you'll have no trouble getting home. If you happen to look like Mohammed Atta or speak like a foreigner - you may have some difficulty. Profiling is alive and well and these days it should be.

Something else you shoul have a heads-up about in a foreign country and that's your aircraft itself. Especially if the people you carry are celebrity types. Aircraft are NOT secure when left on the ramp - even if you hire 'security' . Make sure your pre-flight is extra careful before you leave. This is especially important if you're operating in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, South America or the Balkans and any third-world country in the Caribbean. The more 'exotic' your aircraft type the more important.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back