Stolen Flight Bag

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

daddysquared

I need some help. My flight bag was stolen out of my car. Aside from the approach plates for California, Kneeboard, and Headset, which can all be replaced, my biggest concern is my Logbook. I don't have a ton of hours, only about 270 or so, and just started Multi Training with about 6 hours in the Duchess. What do I do about a stolen logbook? Any advice would be monumentally appreciated.

Daddy

Never take your logbook anywhere with you, keep it in a very safe place. When I travel I keep my log in a notebook or you can use one of those little flight logs, you can transfer the numbers to your real log book later. Better than anything is an electronice log with a CD. Can't go wrong with that.

Personal FAQ:

Lost Logbooks

There are two FAA sources for the information of how to handle them

The first is FAA Order 8700.1 - General Aviation Operations Inspector's Handbook, Volume 2 (General Aviation Safety Inspector (Operations) Tasks And Responsibilities), Chapter 1, Section 10, Paragraph 21

==============================
21. LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Aeronautical experience requirements must be shown for a person to be eligible for the issuance or to exercise the privileges of a pilot certificate. A pilot who has lost logbooks or flight time records should be reminded that any fraudulent or intentional false statements concerning aeronautical experience are a basis for suspension or revocation of any certificate or rating held. The pilot who has this problem may, at the discretion of the inspector accepting the application for a pilot certificate or rating, use a signed and notarized statement of previous flight time as the basis for starting a new flight time record. Such a statement should be substantiated by all available evidence, such as aircraft logbooks, receipts for aircraft rentals, and statements of flight operators.

The, second, which is a little more helpful and goes into more detail is FAA Order 8400.10 - Air Transportation Operations Inspector's Handbook. Volume 5 (Airman Certification And Designated Examiners), Chapter 9, Section 4, Paragraph 731

731. LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Inspectors should advise airmen that they may reconstruct lost logbooks or flight records by providing a signed statement of previous flight time.
A. Proof of Experience. Airmen may use the following items to substantiate flight time and experience:
* Aircraft logbooks
* Receipts for aircraft rentals
* Operator records
* Copies of airman medical files
* Copies of FAA Form 8710-1, "Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application"
B. Obtaining File Copies. Airmen who have lost their logbooks or flight records may request copies of their files from the FAA by writing to the following:
FAA Airmen Certification Branch, AVN-460
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125

FAA, Aeromedical Certification Branch
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125

NOTE: Inspectors should encourage pilots to complete the flight time sections of official record forms, even though it would not be required for that specific certificate. These records document a chronological development of flight time in case personal records become lost.

Obviously, the records used to reconstruct the logbook should be kept in a safe place. And it's not stated, but since the primary use of the reconstructed logbook will be to verify the information in the student's 8710-1, it would be a good idea to review what you did with the DPE who will be performing the practical test or with a local FSDO inspector.

Latest resources

Back