• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Steve Fossett Missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was blessed from birth being able to make the exact same sound as an ELT, and if I clench a metal fork in my teeth it transmits the ELT sound I am able to make on 121.500.

Kind of like the raptor voice box the dude blows in on Jurassic Park III.

Avweb.com has some interesting links that you can use to "help" find Mr. Fossett. Seems they are using spy satellites to take pix of the area. You can then look at the images to see if you can spot anything of potential interest. You can then mark the spot, and someone with the search effort will look over what you've marked. Most interesting, as Spock would say.

www.avweb.com

Squelch override

I could obviously be wrong, actually I'm a little overdue for it, but what new radios don't have squelch? by svcta
I believe bubbers44 was speaking of a way to turn off the squelch, like some old radios that had a very small button to push, new radios in Boeing's have automatic squelch, no feature to adjust or turn off.

SAO, Yes we used the manual squelch to let even the most marginal signals to come through at Aircal talking to company in fringe areas. We always heard ELT's when United couldn't because they had the newer auto squelch airplanes. Steve would probably have been found if that "Do you copy" message was from him and airliners could still use manual squelch. Also the Brazil midair might have not happened if they had the ability to hear weak transmissions. Over the Carribean I have wished for manual squelch many times having to get relays from closer in flights. GPS precision and auto squelch had a lot to do with the results of the Brazil midair. Legacy almost heard them but they were exactly on course. Sometimes progress makes the situation worse.

GPS precision and auto squelch had a lot to do with the results of the Brazil midair. Legacy almost heard them but they were exactly on course. Sometimes progress makes the situation worse.

That's why there is SLOP, lost comm procedures, and TCAS.

Hopefully nobody will be flying right down the airway in non-radar with no comms.

That's why there is SLOP, lost comm procedures, and TCAS.

Hopefully nobody will be flying right down the airway in non-radar with no comms.

Unfortunately TCAS went inop that day, lost comm procedures were not ignored and SLOP is not a standard procedure so few pilots use it.

You're too busy trying to be smart...too busy to note that nobody here has suggested that 406 MHz isn't an improvement. Nobody has decried it or put it down...your argueing an arguement that doesn't exist...one you've made up.

What you did do was make a stupid, erroneous statement that ELT's operating on 121.5 MHz are worthless. They're not.

406 with Built In GPS and Reg Here http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov

I know my Beacon ID is Reg'd Lots of phone Numbers listed.

I think if you are in aviation, mountian climbing, Hiking, Etc a 406 EPIRB should be required or you pay sars fees.....If they have to come find you!

The Climbers on MT Hood last winter did not have one not even a 121.5 and rentals were available on the mountain either one would have saved their Life and tax payers lots of money.

I know 3 people saved by elt & epirbs 1 by 121.5 other 2 by 406.....

Last edited:
I believe bubbers44 was speaking of a way to turn off the squelch, like some old radios that had a very small button to push, new radios in Boeing's have automatic squelch, no feature to adjust or turn off.

I understood the point, I just used an abbreviated term to ask the question, so my fault.

I didn't know, and just confirmed it, that Boeing radios(or the radios in Boeings) don't have a manual squelch function. I'm told that it works very well, but it seems like I open the squelch on a radio a lot to get an ATIS a little early, or listen for an ELT(at center's request) or something. I can't adjust it from the RTUs that I've used, but it can at least be turned off.

Thanks for the info! Learn something new every day......

Any word on Mr. Fossett? With the search going on this long, it really makes you wonder what's going on.

Latest resources

Back