• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Steve Chase elected SWAPA President!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What do you call buying a type rating to get an interview or as a condition of employment prior to starting class?

There is no condition requiring the purchasing of a type rating at SWA, you simply must HAVE a 737 type rating to get hired.

Oh, and HUGE thumbs up for Steve C.!

Last edited:
What do you call buying a type rating to get an interview or as a condition of employment prior to starting class?

I call that "getting hired by the right airline at the right time" or some call it seniority.

As soon as you guys are Southwest you'll have full access to the SWAPA forum and Pprune - with full history research ability.

We won't get that from your board.

The Airtran pilots will meet Steve Chase soon enough! :D

Gup

As you guys like to say, anything is negotiable. You just have to think outside the box!

congrats to steve

SWAPA had two fine choices, different styles but both strong pilot advocates and who support the culture of SWA.

Both have 2 terms of experience as dom reps during some of the mostg challenging times in the airline industry.

SWAPA's members have chosen well and will be well served.

Congrats again

Steve Chase is a senior Dallas Captain.

He organized a grassroots campain and went head to head with Gary Kelly over the codeshare agreements. He did this when he was not in a SWAPA BOD position and with no real skin in the fight, except it would be bad for the junior of our pilots. And the disdane for the cancer of codeshare.

He would wait in the parking lot for Gary Kelly after meetings with SWAPA. Himself and several other SWA pilots would form a guantlet style line and that our CEO would have to walk through to enter/exit SWAPA HDQ. Politely, but with determination, he would ask Gary to do the right thing.

The battle was ultimately lost, mainly by our current president and then senior captain weighted BOD, but his message was heard loud and clear.

Steve Chase was not afraid to stand toe to toe with our CEO in a unprotected position. I believe he will have NO problem standing to to toe with management as our union President.

I am thankful he is on our side now.

-T45

I really don't get the "you paid for a type rating" thing. I'm hoping to start with SWA soon with my 737 type gained from another airline. Although not a single penny came out of my checkbook to gain this rating, it was basically taken out of my miserably low paychecks. It's all a to-maa-to or to-mah-to thing.

Got hired. Then got my type. The job paid more my first year than any other. Any questions?

The ends justified the means (paying to play), I'm sure PFT128 would agree.

The original quote below was what I was referring to. Something about people living in glass houses comes to mind. If I've assumed incorrectly that WayBack is a WN pilot, I apologize. I'm no fan of PFT128, but when I see a WN guy slinging mud, ala pay to play, to me it sounds hypocritical. I just hope that after SLI, I don't have to buy my type on the 73 when the 71's go away (I didn't do it 14 years ago when I was job hunting and don't want to do it now).

Originally Posted by WayBack
I'm guessing he didn't need to pay to play, like you.

Latest resources

Back