• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sterile Cockpit over the Hudson

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmm..let's see here...you are in the Slob? Is that right - um - is it Captain..? So you're saying that you have NEVER said anything below 10,000 ft other than REQUIRED CHECKLIST ITEMS, ATC COMMO, OR REQUIRED CALLOUTS, is that correct...?

Umm...the sterile cockpit concept allows you to vocalize more than just these three items. Issues that are directly related to the safe outcome of the flight can and should be discussed:

"That's a pretty big thunderstorm right in front of us" or
"That airplane looks pretty close to us" or
"Let's review the missed approach procedure one more time" or
"Let's review the windshear recovery procedure" etc.

Umm...the sterile cockpit concept allows you to vocalize more than just these three items. Issues that are directly related to the safe outcome of the flight can and should be discussed:

"That's a pretty big thunderstorm right in front of us" or
"That airplane looks pretty close to us" or
"Let's review the missed approach procedure one more time" or
"Let's review the windshear recovery procedure" etc.

or "Look at the Hudson, sure looks pretty...(good for an emergency landing site".

Hmm..let's see here...you are in the Slob? Is that right - um - is it Captain..? So you're saying that you have NEVER said anything below 10,000 ft other than REQUIRED CHECKLIST ITEMS, ATC COMMO, OR REQUIRED CALLOUTS, is that correct...?

Oh I have violated sterile cockpit. I never said I did not.

I am however a little upset with the double standard being applied here today. Sully violated sterile cockpit, so did 3407.

However- anyone familiar with the accident investigations see's that when they were vectored onto the approach and the approach sequence began they didn't say another word that wasn't standard. When they were violating sterile cockpit, they were flying airplane fine. When they "focussed" the airplane stopped flying. Gotta be fatigue.

There is a difference in a comment and getting into a conversation. Comments happen all the time below 10000ft., but their should not be discussions. Big difference. Sully had a comment and the Colgan PFT Capt was having a discussion with his low time F/O.
Kind of ironic what they were discussing about. I feel bad for the F/O. She should not have been put in such a position.

M

There is a difference in a comment and getting into a conversation. Comments happen all the time below 10000ft., but their should not be discussions. Big difference. Sully had a comment and the Colgan PFT Capt was having a discussion with his low time F/O.
Kind of ironic what they were discussing about. I feel bad for the F/O. She should not have been put in such a position.

M

2,200TT is not a low time FO in the regionals.

I don't know if this has or should have any bearing, but it is a little easier for an Airbus pilot to maintain sterile cockpit, than for a Saab pilot, simply due to the significant difference in amount of time each spends below 10k. The Airbus guy can climb that high in just 3 or 4 minutes, while the Saab guy might spend the entire flight below 10. Just food for thought.

well it is below 10,000 except cruise flight so once the saab is in cruise feel free to discuss. I think we probably all have violated this rule at least once, but I'm taking it more seriously these days

Colgan 3407 didn't break sterile cockpit too bad. There were some extraneous words said, but they were at least pertinent to their flight conditions and they chilled out before the approach really commenced.

What is terrible was their absolutely piss poor airmanship and total lack of SA.

RElaxed SC

I don't know if this has or should have any bearing, but it is a little easier for an Airbus pilot to maintain sterile cockpit, than for a Saab pilot, simply due to the significant difference in amount of time each spends below 10k. The Airbus guy can climb that high in just 3 or 4 minutes, while the Saab guy might spend the entire flight below 10. Just food for thought.
the SC rules can be relaxed in crusie even if it is below 10K

Latest resources

Back