Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CRJDispatchKid

Thousands served...
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion....

Do you generally cap your altitudes when your flight planning system may give you a step climb? For example: LAX-BOS may show FL330 in the ATC strip but in the body of your flight plan / release it shows a steb climb to FL370. Do you lock in 330, or leave the step climb and let the crew request higher with the controllers?

Those dispatching internationally, this doesn't apply to you, because the benefits of step climbs are much greater. I'm curious what everyone's experience is in the US with situations like the above.

Do the crews ever have problems getting an altitude that's higher than their strip?

Not really higher, although sometimes ATC will hold them down at a lower alt. than planned. we fly 747's, so running skinny on fuel isn't really a problem. Sabre has a correction factor built into each airplane, usually about 10%. That more than makes up for any lower alts usually.

I do step climb but I do it conservatively. Too many crews have called and said it may not even get that high due to traffic, or says what if the ride sucks I am shortning him fuel, yada yada. Just because of that, he/she might add 2000lbs where the actual saving would have been only 200lbs by step climbing to FL410. They know (well, most of them) that they need to save fuel enroute. So I let them work on that with the ATC, their FMC and the cost index function. Although, sometimes, the jetstream winds are so favorable going eastbounds FL350-FL370 gives the best burn over the country or over the pond. So, sometimes the highest is not always the best.

Last edited:
I leave them in on longer flights, and usualy build them in leaving ZNY airspace.

For my flights at RD, it depends on the distance and the max shear. I play with the release and compute the plan using caps and others without caps. I found that if I put caps on there, I can reduce the max shear, but increase the burn. I can use steps and maximize fuel economy, but with an airline such as RD, we are told to be VERY, VERY liberal with fuel. Hell, if the company pays the bills and gives me occasional raises, I'm all for it!

Step climbs are not an issue unless you have an altitude restricted aircraft. For instance a non-RSVM qualified aircraft or an MEL like a pac that will restrict altitude. Our software will issue a step climb to a higher altitude even when you manually restrict the climb ceiling. Crews can always ask to deviate from planned altitude.​

Latest resources

Back