Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bart

Decader
Working an opportunity to leave 135 flying a turboprop and go with a 91 operation as a mid-size jet FO. The owner has plans to upgrade to a full-size jet in a year with a type rating. The pay is double, the schedule the same, but no more fueling and washing the airplane.

I would prefer to stay 135, however, the pay and bennies are so much better with the 91 gig. My long term goal is for a large corporate flight dept, so I think this might be a good step, just want some opinions.

bart said:
. . . . go with a 91 operation as a mid-size jet FO. The owner has plans to upgrade to a full-size jet in a year with a type rating. The pay is double, the schedule the same, but no more fueling and washing the airplane.

[T]he pay and bennies are so much better with the 91 gig. My long term goal is for a large corporate flight dept, so I think this might be a good step . . . .
(emphasis added)

It's a no-brainer. Take the job. Make sure, for your own peace of mind, that the owner is well-capitalized and, more importantly, will pay for your training.

Good luck with the new job.

Last edited:
Why would you "prefer" 135, especially if your goal is corporate? It is a pain in the butt, especially for those who have to manage it. Our corporate boss likes having a 135 due to some tax advantages and the fact he can "lone" his plane out to friends and get recouped. Lately he has lost his vision and his accounting formulas (which they don't share) suggests he is trying to justify his cost of ownership through the revenue generated in 135 (not much with a small operation). Unless you are with a big 135 outfit with opportunity to upgrade to jets and a set schedule, I would go with the 91. If it is job security you are worried about - well that is anybody's guess no matter what kind of outfit you are with.

Take the 91 job, get comfy, and then call me.

I'll leave my 135 job for the same reasons. :D

91?

Go with the 91 job. You will notice that it will a lot more laid back. Especially in paperwork and regulations. I've done both. Love corporate flight departments. Never could get out of cleaning the aircraft or shopping for aircraft supplies. But the people in back seem to appreciate more.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back