Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

zuka

freight doggy dog
I recently got a new flight jacket. It’s an ultra force USAF issue with 100% nylon shell with 100% polyester fill. It’s really warm but there are some side effects when I fly with it – it acts like a capacitor for static electricity! Whenever I get out of the plane, I get shocked about 4 times and it hurts. I’ve been getting a lot of ice lately and I’ll break the buildup off the OAT after each leg so I can evaluate the rate of accumulation for the next leg. I’ll reach over the windshield and ZAP!! I get it on the door handles too but it seems to happen only when I’m outside the airplane. I know dry air contributes to static buildup, but it’s been snowing a lot lately and the temp / dew point spread have been pretty close. I don’t get zapped when I get out of my car or go grocery shopping, it’s only when I fly. Any ideas on how I can get this to stop?

Static

Did you try that Static Guard Spray? Or wash it and use lots of Downy. Unfortunately most of the jackets you get off the market are not "mil spec". Most issue jackets are not made of static generating materials. But even for Nomex it is good to use downy and dryer sheets.

The shocks keep you alert.

Just tough it out, trooper!

I have come to the realization that...

There is only so much time and oh so many people to web hand across the throat. :D

zuka said:
I recently got a new flight jacket..... it acts like a capacitor for static electricity! I’ve been getting a lot of ice lately and I’ll break the buildup off the OAT after each leg so I can evaluate the rate of accumulation for the next leg......Any ideas on how I can get this to stop?
The hell you say!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back