• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

State of the Industry?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For starters, whoever told you to go get a finance degree gave you the best advice ever. It sounds like your expectations are in line with the current pay.

What you need to understand is you will live in a hotel 16 to 18 days a month away from the ones you love. That is by far the hardest part of this job.

I generally like the people I fly with, I don't have a boss staring over my shoulder, I make enough to pay the bills. But I'm in my 7th year and I'm going to be working this Christmas. I'm looking forward to a cold hotel room, and starving because the restaurants will all be closed.

Other than that, it beats working for a living!

J32driver said:
But I'm in my 7th year and I'm going to be working this Christmas. I'm looking forward to a cold hotel room, and starving because the restaurants will all be closed.

Hopefully these hotels in the Northeast still have a bountiful supply of Chinese Resturants like the midwest. X-mas just wouldn't be the same without Fried Rice and my "roadie" of Captain Morgan.

20 years

2 regionals

2 majors

1 furlough

2 chapt. 7 BK's

Missed countelss holidays, special events, parties, birthdays, you name it.

Pay and benefits have been sliding for decades.

I would never, ever do it again. You could get lucky and you might do okay, but the majority of the guys I know wish they never started down this path. You can always fly your own/rented airplane.

Last edited:
ferlo said:
I would never, ever do it again. You could get lucky and you might do okay, but the majority of the guys I know wish they never started down this path. You can always fly your own/rented airplane.

AMEN!

I haven't been around as long but I'd get the accounting or engineering degree and buy my own plane for fun if could do it all over again.

Read carefully what all these guys are saying, make up your mind and go forward with whatever it is. Just do me a favor. If you go ahead with being a pilot, remember that you picked the career, it didn't pick you. So save the bitching and moaning about how bad it sucks, how your getting screwed by management, XYZ airline is taking your flying, your pay sucks, your contract sucks, your quality of life is in the toilet, scheduling is out to get you, your lowering the bar, they are lowering the bar and all the finger pointing and blaming of everyone else for your decision. It is a career, and it is going to be good for some, bad for others. It will have highlights and lowlights. You will love it and you will hate it. It is just like life, it ain't fair. So don't gripe about it when it kicks you in the teeth, and don't gloat when you kick it in the teeth. You go in knowing that you are promised nothing, just like most other careers, and you will at least be able to live a somewhat happier life than the rest of us.

Any expectations in this industry is delusional. Think of, lets say any bus line ie. Greyhound or Suburban and picture yourself in the drivers seat. Thats what this industry has become. Don't forget to go to Wendys for a 20 oz pop.
Smart move would be freighters.
Good luck and happy drivin, I mean flyin
Cheers
ePilot22 said:
So what is it like to be a regional pilot? I have been reading through the threads here and for the most part I'm getting a picture of an industry that doesn't match my apparent delusional expectations.

From strikes and scabs to contracts and negotiations, planes under this color and that size, my turf and your scope, what is all this and when is the flying going on and how much time is actually spent flying?

Just to save some time and a few post, yes, I am low time, no I'm not a scab and I'm not willing to fly for free. I am a CFI and currently instructing and more than willing to do so for at least another year (need to finish school). I will eventually have the time and experience required for the regionals and this is going to be the next step. What I'm looking for here and from those that post is what to REALLY expect when it's time to take that next step.

I don't want to have any misconceptions of what flying for the airlines is going to be like. Thanks to all that post something constructive and helpful.

Any more insights?

What no more love? Some 600 views and only 15 post. Do you guys really have no opinion of your industry? I realize the "hate or love it" thing, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm just looking for an expectation of what life at the regionals wiil be like. What do you do day to day? What is the flying like? You know - life.

Maiko said:
Smart move would be freighters.

Originally this is what I had planned on doing. Two reasons for the change of mind, (1) part 135 IFR mins means a longer time flight instructing, (2) I was told that if I want to go airlines at some point in my career, then to do it asap. Before this I was thinking about doing something like Lakes (121) until I met the 135 mins, but I've heard that's, well lets just say stupid!

There is a fellow flight instructor with 1200TT and almost 300 ME. He would like to go to Sky West. However he was offer a freight job, but he has to have 1500TT and 500 ME. Seems pretty high to fly boxes, when one could be flying PX with less time and in a safer environment i.e. 2 crew.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start a debate on 135 vs. 121. Again I'm looking for insight in regional airline life.

Thanks again to all that have contributed!!

PilotOnTheRise said:
That is a little extreme, don't you think? Is it really that bad? Even if you stay with a regional for your career, you can make a decent living, especially once you upgrade. I think some of you allow the current state of the industry to fog your thinking so much, that you cannot focus on anything but the bad. There is too much of a 'dooms-day' like attitude about the industry. I would just be thankful you have a job period, because there are plenty of people, even outside of aviation, who do not right now. Things can always be better, and things could always be worse; regardless of how good or bad things are.
I think you make a good point, because how can you make it to the majors if you don't want it more than the other guy. It's a lack of want that these guys possess, these frowsy ne'er do wells that claim that life owes them something. You have more than half a chance as long as you want it more than the other guy.

ePilot22 said:
I'm just looking for an expectation of what life at the regionals wiil be like. What do you do day to day? What is the flying like? You know - life.

I've been at 2 airlines so far and flown three different aircraft. Beech 1900, EMB 145, and finally the BA 4100. Each plane has had its own kind of flying. When I was flying the 1900 we would have up to 12 legs a day. The EMB would average about 4 legs a day. I haven't been on the J41 that much but it seems that most days are about 5 leg days. The duty days for each plane have been about the same with an average day being from about 10 to 14 hours long. The jet was nicer because the legs were longer so if the weather sucked in your part of the country you usually werent in the crappy wx all day. IE one leg would be from Portland ME to Ohare. So if the wx sucked in PWM then it was usually good in ORD. However the turboprops were not so nice. You usually stick to a smaller part of the country. IE If the wx sucks in Pittsburgh its most likely gonna suck right down the road in Beckley WV. So in the turboprops if the wx sucked you would shoot 8 to 12 approaches down to mins that day. As far as days off go I've had as many as 14 and as little as 8 in a month. One month I had 23 days off, but that was cause I got my wisdom teeth pulled and milked the doctors note for a few extra days. As far as holidays go I think I've had 1 thanksgiving off and worked pretty much every other holiday in the past 3 years. I got lucky last year and got done with work sometime during xmas evening at my base, which lucky for me is where I live. Thats pretty much all I can think of for a cliff notes of how life has been for me at the regionals. My old airline did not do overnights. Instead they did outstation basing. So you were always at your base at the end of the night. Which is awesome if you live in or near that base. If you don't then you have to live out of a crashpad for 1/2 of the month. My current airline does have overnights so like it was said before you have to get used to stayin in hotel rooms for 1/2 of the month. I would say that one of the worst things about regionals would be having to commute to sit reserve. Well hope that helps.

Latest resources

Back