Starting a flight school.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

I live in Florida. Recently somebody brought up the idea of starting a flight school on the airport. The airport is about 20 miles outside of city. The question is what am I looking at for a rental airplane? I am thinking a 4 seater like a C172 or a warrier. I will be selling a older C-172 to purchase this airplane. What would be made off of the airplane? Anybody ever done this? I know say say the best way to get a million in aviation is to start with 2 million. What curriculum should I use? The only reason I'm thinking about this is that recently a busy flight training airport closed (to build houses) and moved almost a hour our of the city. I also have the equity. The plane I'd be selling would be payed for so right off the bat I'd be making money.

Thanks

FIrst of all it is spelled WARRIOR! If you are going to buy one...you should know how to spell it. The sylllabus depends on your projected student base. I previously used the Jeppessen syllabus (taught part 61 and 141) but if you are just going to be a part 61 school then the Sportys syllabus with the DVD's is the way to go! Saves the student money by not having to go through a traditional ground school (costly) and it helps out the instructor by using the great videos!
A cessna 172 is the most stable to use for pilot traiing, however, I prefer the Cherokee and the Warrior!

The best advice regarding starting up a flight school is this:

DON'T!

You won't make any money and will find that the expenses will eat you alive, then spit out your corpse just to eat you again.

Starting a flight school

I think you are on the right track as far as starting out in the business(debt free). I'm self employed, and you should not let others deter you from your ambitions. The truth of the matter is most businesses don't show a profit for the first five years in operation, mainly because of loans and debt business owners have incurred to start operating. I will start a flight school business in the next year or two, and flight school owners I have talked to mentioned the key to success is finding a niche. You cannot make it by offering and doing the same thing that everyone is doing.

the key to success is finding a niche. You cannot make it by offering and doing the same thing that everyone is doing.

Here's a novel idea in finding a nich.

Start a flying school that focuses on the art and craft of flying an airplane.
Start with a tailwheel. Teaching a pilot how to manipulate the controls so that anyone who flies with him/her is very comfortable with how the airplane feels and how the pilot is obviously in control of the airplane. Whether the pax is a real pax or a DE.

Then...and only then...move into the world of aviation situation management.
That means navigation, ATC procedures, aircraft performance, regulations, etc. A 172 works good for this.

The blaring fault with most all flight schools is that they start with managing everything when the poor student can't find his/her feet to fly this thing.

There's the nich just begging to be filled.

Piper made very few descent aircraft and the Warrior was not one of them. If you plan on instructing in FL you need to consider the heat and the effect on the student. A PA28 throwing out almost no air out of an eyeball socket at the bottom of your knee does the student and instructor no good.

While ugly as sin, the C172 is a stable platform with descent ventilation through the upper air vents. This little amount of air can make a big difference in 90 degree temps with high humidity.

Take a look at insurance premiums before you get too deep. This may make a big difference in your decision.

Good luck on whatever your decision is.

Before you start your school, try to study some customer service success stories in other business areas. Take a look at Starbucks, Norstrum's, Amazon.com, Best Buy, and McDonald's. Try and figure out how to make your customers feel just as good as your school as they do about those businesses.

The level of non-customer service at 99.9% of all flight schools in the world just staggers the mind.

The first person you should hire is a friendly receptionist who will make anyone who walks in the door feel welcome and valued. You should have a proceedure to ensure that someone who has people skills makes an effort to turn every phone call and visitor into a client.

Most flight schools operate like some kind of secret society that goes out of its way to discourage new people.

Oh, and if that guy in the other thread who was offended because he saw a Southwest pilot helping straighten the cabin applies to you, throw him out the door. He's a poster boy for why flight schools fail.

The most important thing to remember when operating a business is that:

THE CUSTOMER IS KING and COMES FIRST!

Cunsumers have a love/hate relationship with retailers and businesses that they patronize. They may patronize you loyally for years but all it takes is ONE single incident which leaves them unsatisfied. After that, they won't be come back.

Consumers are willing to pay a little extra for the same product being sold down the street for less if they receive good customer service. Remember, everyone in this world wants respect and consumers feel they outright deserve it, which they do. If you go out of your way for someone it can go a long way. Do small things that others might charge for.

One of the best ways people increase their business is by word of mouth. Work on building your reputation and never short change or nickel and dime your customers.

I started a flight school two years ago and here are my toughts about it:
1. If you want to do it because you love to fly, don't do it. You won't fly as much as you want to.
2. find a good insurance broker, you will need one. Most of the underwriters won't even insure you because you have 2 airplanes (or even one).
3. Customer service is the key but there will be people asking and begging for discounts no matter how low prices could be. Keep your prices a bit higher than what you want so that they can think they are getting a good deal.
4. The profit margins are not as low as airlines but still low to make a living out of it.
5. Insurance and fuel will eat you alive.
6. Try to keep the school debt free.. personal wealth or ability to borrow opens the doors for more tax savings.
7. don't try to educate some of your customers. One customer didn't want to pay for the prepaid instrument rating program. He ended up paying 30% more for his instrument rating.. So be it, it's his money..
8. Be ready to give them 10 reasons why they should chose you.
9. Be friendly but don't let them to walk over you.
10. Did i mention that insurance and fuel costs will eat you alive?

Latest resources

Back