• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Starting 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't do it! The margins are small, workload very high. Dealing with the feds is very frustrating. For every one step forward they begrudge you they knock you two steps back.

If you absolutely have to do it go as a single pilot single airplane outfit; no manuals or management personnel required. If you go basic or standard you need full time management, pilot training, constant oversight, and several tonnes of aspirin.

I'm DO of a full 135 operation in the Northeast. It's a major hassle but if the business is there, it's worth it. You may consider having another firm manage that part of it until you're certain you want to go through with the process.

You could also call around to find a FSDO that is not so back logged. I heard someone in ABQ got things done pretty quickly. You'll just have to have some sort of presence in the district of the FSDO you chose.

No, not really good advice at all. This is the worst of times to sell an airplane in any category. It is a buyer's market.
Better to lose a hundred thousand dollars now and not suffer the slow, agonizing misery that is trying to break even with a one-plane charter operation.

Contact John at www.usac.com. He can help you figure out what type of 135 you need, your mission profile, and whether it is best to start your own or piggyback on an existing certificate.

I started my Charter company as a "single pilot, single aircraft" cert, then once we got that, upgraded to a "Full 135". I can tell you just waiting in the FAA que to get considered/looked at can take over a year. We had to hire a lobbyist just to get pulled out of it. Like everyone else said, it depends on your FSDO, but from what I hear, there is a long list of people in line, and ours isn't accepting new operating certificate applications. "Single Pilot / Single aircraft" operations can make money, but also holds you back just that one pilot. I'd look at having someone manage you until your our of the que or purchase a cert at a decent FSDO.

Latest resources

Back